Looking for Swivel Cup, Closed, Circumaural Headphones under $300 (Similar in concept to the B&O H6)
Jan 14, 2014 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Superfluous10

New Head-Fier
I bought the Momentum On Ear headphones and they're causing pain in one ear because the earcup doesn't match the angle of my ear and was pressing on the back of it. I don't think any on ear headphone is going to be any better in comfort so now I'm open to over ear circumaural headphones.

I plan to carry these in my briefcase to work everyday so I would like them to swivel flat. I'd like for them to have some flex in the cup to match the angle of my ear or completely surround the ear. I'd like them to look nice and office appropriate. I prefer to not have to use an amp to power them. The B&O H6 seem to fit the criteria, however, they're more than I'd like to spend and didn't get the best reviews for their price point. Any other ideas?

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 10
Not sure what sort of look you're into, but the AKG K550 is circumaural and folds flat. They are quite comfortable, but have a look at the various member comments concerning the fit. Some can't get a good seal if they have smaller or narrower heads.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 10
Not sure what sort of look you're into, but the AKG K550 is circumaural and folds flat. They are quite comfortable, but have a look at the various member comments concerning the fit. Some can't get a good seal if they have smaller or narrower heads.

That looks like a good recommendation and fits the criteria, thank you. I'm definitely keeping those on the shortlist, however, the headband looks really bulky.

hmm, the whole headphone is pretty big actually:

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 10
The B&O H6 does actually need amping, more so than many other headphones. Therefore I'd call them flawed for what they are. 
There's also the akg k545... Perhaps some of focals offerings? Like the focal spirit one..

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #6 of 10
The Focal Spirit Ones are probably more of an on-ear fit, unless you have very small ears. I had a pair of the Focals and enjoyed how they sounded and provided good passive isolation, but not how they pressed down on the edges of my ears. The newer Focal models have larger earcup (I don't remember what they are called).

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 10
I'm starting to lean towards one of the Harman Kardons (either CL or Soho) due to how portable it is and it looks like it would be flexible/comfortable. However, I can't find any place that carries them to try. Apple doesn't have them. Thoughts?

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 10
So I went with the Harman Kardon Soho for $200 and I think it was a good choice. They're very small and should fit into my briefcase easily. They swivel 180 degrees so they can take any ear angle. So far they've been comfortable and the sound quality is good enough for me. The only bad thing so far is the case; the headphones don't really fit easily into them and they have this snap/swing shut spring that makes a really loud snap.

May 19, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #9 of 10
I have been looking at the CL and Sohos. How are the Sohos?

May 19, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 10

That looks like a good recommendation and fits the criteria, thank you. I'm definitely keeping those on the shortlist, however, the headband looks really bulky.

hmm, the whole headphone is pretty big actually:

The K550 is a rather large headphone, although it is very light. Folded it easily fits into larger laptop bags (so if you're using a 15in notebook and your bag isn't anywhere near the size of a slim folio, it will likely fit). If anything the size of the headband out of the box doesn't go well with smaller heads - one mild headbang in any direction and it will fly off, or at the very least it might sound thin because you won't get a good seal around your ears. I'm 5'7" if that's any indication of my headsize, and in stock form the only fit issue is the latter one; I got t o try one with more wear on the pads though and the bass is already where I want it, so if I had one, I wouldn't need to bend the headband.

I actually was planning to get one but I got a good deal on an IEM that doesn't have the usual itchy tips and other fit issues (Aurisonics ASG-1).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back