Looking for super durable over-ear headphones that sound great and can survive abuse
Dec 3, 2015 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

positively4th

New Head-Fier
Greetings,
I'm looking for a pair of headphones that meet the following criteria:
 - Over ear (ideally cover the entire ear)
 - Cushy/comfortable but not enormous/bulky as they will be used on the go
 - Comes with a case
 - Can survive being abused... i.e. ideallly a non-plastic headband that won't snap, can be in a bag/backpack with lots of other heavy stuff even without a case and not get destroyed. 
 - Removable headphone cable (this ties in to it being durable -- don't have to worry about the cable going bad, can just replace)
 - Good sound quality (duh)
 - Doesn't require an amp, will be driven exclusively off of a cell phone or laptop
 - No flashy colors or tacky design
 - $100-300 price range

Durability and ability to withstand abuse trumps sound quality, but sound quality is important too. These aren't for me, looking for a gift idea for someone who has repeatedly destroyed "normal" headphones in the past. Would like to get something nice that will last for a long time.

Thanks

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 10
Sennheiser Momentum might be a good choice, I haven't heard a whole lot about the durability but the build quality is really good.  They are also really easy to drive, sound great, are portable, and are look good without being too flashy.  They also come with a hard case.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Momentum-Headphone-Brown/dp/B009QV15DU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1449174579&sr=8-4&keywords=sennheiser+momentum

It's also available in black/red if you prefer that but is a bit more expensive.

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 10
The Sony MDR-7506 are built like a tank, they have a pretty neutral sound with good bass, isolate well, and aren't too bulky.  The cable isn't removable, but perhaps you could mod them.

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #5 of 10
It feels kind of "fanboyish" recommending these X1's all the time, but I think they fit your criteria quite well ! While they might not be high grade hi-fi material, I definitely think they have potential. Durability and comfort had been my top priorities when I was looking for something good for a Hi-Fi newbie, so a lot of people recommended me these. So I think you should consider Fidelio X1, mine did survive some abuse and they are really comfy. As for the build, they are built on a metal frame, and the wire is driven through 2 metal tubes, although thin, they feel really sturdy. It's the main reason I don't choose plastic frames, they always seem to brake due to bending in my case. And I also think they sound pretty good, unless you want something crystal-clear and totally neutral with no pronounced bass. 

Do let us know when you decide, I'd like to know how it went at least ! Good luck !

P.S.: Been using them for more than 2 years. 

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 10
  It feels kind of "fanboyish" recommending these X1's all the time, but I think they fit your criteria quite well ! While they might not be high grade hi-fi material, I definitely think they have potential. Durability and comfort had been my top priorities when I was looking for something good for a Hi-Fi newbie, so a lot of people recommended me these. So I think you should consider Fidelio X1, mine did survive some abuse and they are really comfy. As for the build, they are built on a metal frame, and the wire is driven through 2 metal tubes, although thin, they feel really sturdy. It's the main reason I don't choose plastic frames, they always seem to brake due to bending in my case. And I also think they sound pretty good, unless you want something crystal-clear and totally neutral with no pronounced bass. 

Do let us know when you decide, I'd like to know how it went at least ! Good luck !

P.S.: Been using them for more than 2 years. 

The X1's look great so thanks for sharing - I forgot to mention 1 detail though - they can't be open. 

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #7 of 10
Take a look at the V-Moda m100: built like tanks, have a fun signature, but still a good SQ, and have pretty much all you ask for. They're a bit stylish, but, especially the all black version, not exagerately so.

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks all for the advice and suggestions. After digging in on the V-Moda M100's, they looked intriguing... but then saw the wireless version that just came out, only $50 more, they also work wired, have great reviews... so I think those will be perfect. I just ordered a pair. I'll try to remember to report back after the holidays if they survive the stress testing that they'll likely be subjected to :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back