Looking for super comfy headphones $100-250
Apr 7, 2004 at 12:49 PM Post #16 of 42
If you can find them, try the Sennheiser HD-25-1 ... they're supra-aural (and small!) but I thought they were pretty comfy when I tried them. They isolate and sound very good without an amp
smily_headphones1.gif

-Taurui

Apr 7, 2004 at 2:15 PM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
My vote goes to the Beyer DT250-80.

The AT cans are just 'too' big, so if you move your head, they move around... not so good to me.

Each to their own though, Head-Size may well be an important factor there... YMMV.

Post # 6666 - all the sixes
smily_headphones1.gif

So wait - the 500 just don't fit very well? If it matters I have a large head. I'd like something that I could use while moving around at least somewhat...

Apr 7, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #18 of 42
I'll probably be stoned for this, but I second the Bose QC2s. I've tried the AT A900s, Beyer DT770s, Shure E3s, and Sony MDR-V900s but I haven't liked any of them as much as the QC2s. These are by far the most comfortable headphones (maybe ever), are portable for travel, and are easily driven. Some of the others people are mentioning may sound better, but I find the comfort to sound ratio of the QC2s to be excellent. To me, comfort was paramount and I was willing to sacrifice a bit of sound quality for comfort. *Hides*

Apr 7, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by nleahcim
So wait - the 500 just don't fit very well? If it matters I have a large head. I'd like something that I could use while moving around at least somewhat...

I think its very dependent on your head. Many people say they fit fairly loose, but most people find them comfortable. They stay on my head very well, I can do anything short of hang upside down and they hardly move, but I have by no means a small head. They are fairly heavy though so you can get a bit of a sore neck if you're not leaning on something or keeping your head straight.

However, they really are HUGE and fairly heavy... If you don't mind looking like a fool you can wear them (as nice as the headphones are, you will look wierd wearing them they are just so big), but carrying them in a bag or something is considerable wieght and even more considerable space... Plus they are well made but definately not designed to take abuse.

-jesse

Apr 7, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by jesse_w
I think its very dependent on your head. Many people say they fit fairly loose, but most people find them comfortable. They stay on my head very well, I can do anything short of hang upside down and they hardly move, but I have by no means a small head. They are fairly heavy though so you can get a bit of a sore neck if you're not leaning on something or keeping your head straight.

However, they really are HUGE and fairly heavy... If you don't mind looking like a fool you can wear them (as nice as the headphones are, you will look wierd wearing them they are just so big), but carrying them in a bag or something is considerable wieght and even more considerable space... Plus they are well made but definately not designed to take abuse.

-jesse

Hrmmm... So you don't think that they're very tough? That could be a problem...

Might anyone have a picture of themselves or anyone else wearing them? People keep on saying how ridiculous you look with A500s on but they look *fairly* normal in the pictures I've seen...

Thanks!

Apr 8, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by commando
Are you interested in how they look or how they sound?

Much more interested in how they sound - mostly I just want to see what they look like relative to a person so I can figure out if they're just too big for me.

Apr 8, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #23 of 42
Thirded!
smily_headphones1.gif

Well said. Nothing to add.

Quote:

Originally posted by tjmaxwell
I'll probably be stoned for this, but I second the Bose QC2s. I've tried the AT A900s, Beyer DT770s, Shure E3s, and Sony MDR-V900s but I haven't liked any of them as much as the QC2s. These are by far the most comfortable headphones (maybe ever), are portable for travel, and are easily driven. Some of the others people are mentioning may sound better, but I find the comfort to sound ratio of the QC2s to be excellent. To me, comfort was paramount and I was willing to sacrifice a bit of sound quality for comfort. *Hides*

Apr 8, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve999
Thirded!
smily_headphones1.gif

Well said. Nothing to add.

Well - those are really pushing my budget ($300) - and considering there's so much negative feedback about them - I'd be rather worried to lay down that much money on headphones that aren't perfect...

Apr 8, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #25 of 42
Fair enough! It's hard to argue with that. Bose has a 90 day return policy on the QC2s, no questions asked, if you buy them from a Bose brick and mortar store, if you want to give them a try. I do like mine very much, but head-fi lesson number one is that taste in headphones is very subjective.

The Bose web return policy is quite generous too, but I forget the exact terms.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck!
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by nleahcim
Well - those are really pushing my budget ($300) - and considering there's so much negative feedback about them - I'd be rather worried to lay down that much money on headphones that aren't perfect...

Apr 9, 2004 at 8:57 AM Post #28 of 42
Soundwise (amped) sounded significantly better than the D66. More balanced, less bright & bass sounds tighter (The D66 has a larger soundstage though).
Comfortwise, if you find the D66 comfortable then the DT250 should be very comfortable for you.
Sizewise, it's about the same as the V6/7506 so it's acceptable IMO for outdoor use.

Note, it does however have the coiled cable which for some people is a nuisance.

Apr 9, 2004 at 2:07 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by GreenFloyd
What about the Sony MDR-CD line? There are a few models past 780 (the $100 model) that are uber-comfortable and awesome sounding.

I own a pair of the CD2000. To me, it just isn't very competitive with other open-air/open-back headphones in the same price range. It isn't worth the extra price over the CD780, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back