Looking for suggestions
Aug 8, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #16 of 23
Okay so I believe that for me, based on availability and cost to Canada, this has become a debate between the RP-21s for $117.50 and the AD700s for $133.50. That is, unless some super offer pops up for the 595s or A900s. Any last words before I go for it? I can't seem to find many reviews for the RP-21s which makes me less confident. I'm leaning towards the open AD700s right now. Sennheiser has fallen a bit to the wayside. I'm still new at this and as an owner of a Sennheiser set I think I might like to mix it up a bit
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again everyone for all your help. I hate to ask so many questions but a lack of local options means shopping blind which can be a pain.

Aug 9, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #17 of 23
AD700 are also a great can. They do lack some of the bass of the A700 but make up for it via better mids and a very airy sound.

Aug 9, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #19 of 23
btw let me know if you have to pay any customs/bordering charges when you get the order (I'd think you'd probably have to pay GST and PST, but probably that's it, but I've been reluctant to ordering things out of the country for posibble fees in duties/customs/etc.).

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #20 of 23
yeah I'm a little worried about that myself. While I always expect to pay duty it's brokerage fees that can be a pain. From my experience and from what I've heard from the US Fedex and UPS usually charge these added fees. USPS does not. However, where this is coming from Japan who know. Due to the great reviews Audio Cubes gets I figured it would be a safe bet to go with them but hopefully there shipping company is equally as kind.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #21 of 23
I had to pay £23 worth of import fees before I could receive my AD700's. £23 is roughly $46. I don't know if it works differently in the US or not, but I thought I'd let you know anyway.

But you will love the headphones. I got mine today, they're awesome. Look for my thread a couple of pages back, I wrote a bit more about them.

Aug 17, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #22 of 23
Hey everyone,

So my new ATH AD700s came in yesterday (only took 4 business days from Osaka to the east coast of Canada
icon10.gif
)

Luckily I didn't get slammed that hard with duty. Just $25 bucks which was a combo of taxes and a $8 handling fee.

I just wanted to thank everyone for helping me out. I love the sound coming from these. A little extra bass would be nice but I still like the detail these provide.

I've brought this up in another thread here, but in case anyone here has any feedback: any suggestions on how I might be able to get the extra bass my NAD amp provides to these phones (or maybe even a bit more) without the added bit of muddiness it seems to bring with it?

Not complaining now, these are great. This is Head-fi after all so I might as well be wondering what I could improve
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again everyone.

Aug 17, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #23 of 23
I remember reading this from somewhere... Try pressing the cups tighter (dont cup your hands over the grills though) against your head and see if bass changes. More clamping force ads more bass.

Dont count on me in this one, I just remembered reading something like this in case of ADx00 serie. How you would make the clamp harder permanently without keeping your hands up is another story.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back