Looking for Suggestions on Upgrade ($250 Budget)
Feb 6, 2013 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

V00DEW

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

My pair of Bose (yes I know they're not good headphones, but they were given to me as a gift) recently broke, and I'm looking to upgrade. My knowledge of audio is extremely limited, but I'm definitely open to learning more.

I currently have a budget of $250, and would like suggestions of what I can best get for my money. I'm really interested in Sennheisers, as I've heard great things about them. I've been looking at the hd 598, but I read that they should be optimally used with an amp and external DAC. I listen to almost all audio through my PC, so portability isn't much of an issue. Also, I don't own any soundcards or amps, like I said, I'm a real noob when it comes to audio. 
tongue.gif

(Also to be noted: I'm not located in the nearby vicinity of any authorized dealers, so testing different things out isn't really much of an option)

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 6
Welcome to head-fi!

The HD598's are easy to drive, getting an amp/dac is optional. 

What kind of music genres you like the most? are you fine with open back headphones? sound leakage is an issue with them. People around you will hear what you listening. 

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Welcome to head-fi!

The HD598's are easy to drive, getting an amp/dac is optional. 

What kind of music genres you like the most? are you fine with open back headphones? sound leakage is an issue with them. People around you will hear what you listening. 

I listen to mostly instrumental music, though I do listen to most other genres frequently. I don't listen to music with heavy-bass, so limited bass isn't a problem.

Open back headphones would be fine, as I live by myself, and like I said, I don't plan on taking them out anywhere.

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Quote:

I listen to mostly instrumental music, though I do listen to most other genres frequently. I don't listen to music with heavy-bass, so limited bass isn't a problem.

Open back headphones would be fine, as I live by myself, and like I said, I don't plan on taking them out anywhere.

When it comes to instrumental/classical you'll like the presentation of the Sennhs. Airy sound, lively mids, and a fair amount of bass. 

If you are into games, they are very accurate. I do recommend getting at least a decent Dac or a soundcard, generally onboard sucks. 

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

When it comes to instrumental/classical you'll like the presentation of the Sennhs. Airy sound, lively mids, and a fair amount of bass. 

If you are into games, they are very accurate. I do recommend getting at least a decent Dac or a soundcard, generally onboard sucks. 

Would the audio quality suffer enough to warrant a purchase of a DAC/soundcard when I purchase the 598s? Or is it something I can invent in later?

The reason I ask is that purchasing a decent DAC/soundcard will probably be exceeding my budget by $100+ if I am to purchase the 598s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back