Looking for suggestions on portable DAC/AMP to pair with HD 558.
Sep 10, 2013 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

seacow2001

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I just bought an HD558 for gaming and music about a week ago and so far I'm loving it. I've been reading up on my headphones and this has lead me to the DAC/AMP world. I'm extremely interested in obtaining a portable DAC/AMP to see how much better my music and gaming experience will get. Now I'm not an audiofile and have no idea what great sound sounds like. So, I'm hoping to enlist some help to select a portable DAC/AMP. I'm looking for:
- Portability
- Pairs well with HD 558
- Does not break the bank ~$150 dollars
- Works with iPhone 5 (although I can budge a little with this and just grab my old 3GS for the non-lightning port)

I'm currently looking at the Fiio e07k and e17, but if you guys think there's a more worthy device, please don't hesitate to recommend!

Thanks!

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 9
Heya,

If you want a better experience on the PC, and with some portable devices that support portable DACs, then the E17 is a good choice for future proofing.

If you just want an amplifier, then the Fiio E12 is a more capable amplifier on it's own.

Are you really going to use the open air HD558 as a portable? Have you tried that yet?

Very best,

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 9
Hi,

Not portable in a sense where i'm on the bus or the plane. Portable as in that I travel often, visiting my parents and girlfriend. I would like something I can just take with me. Plus I do use my idevice to listen to music while i'm not sitting at the computer so that would help as well.

Edit: That's also the question. Do I need a DAC or just an AMP? I have no clue so I thought I would get something that has both to cover all bases.

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 9
I just bought an HD558 for gaming and music about a week ago and so far I'm loving it. I've been reading up on my headphones and this has lead me to the DAC/AMP world. I'm extremely interested in obtaining a portable DAC/AMP to see how much better my music and gaming experience will get. Now I'm not an audiofile and have no idea what great sound sounds like. So, I'm hoping to enlist some help to select a portable DAC/AMP. I'm looking for:
- Portability
- Pairs well with HD 558
- Does not break the bank ~$150 dollars
- Works with iPhone 5 (although I can budge a little with this and just grab my old 3GS for the non-lightning port)
I'm currently looking at the Fiio e07k and e17, but if you guys think there's a more worthy device, please don't hesitate to recommend!

This cable should make it easier to use the HD558 with portable audio.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?var=560215640800&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 9
I began using my 558s with the Fiio E7, which worked fine, but these really came alive with the Aune T1 tube dac/amp which is a about the size of a small book, transportable but a plug in unit (with a power brick) but should be no problem for the type of use you describe. This may cost a bit more than you want to spend (often closer to $200 but sometimes it can be cheaper on eBay or even Amazon). Anyhow I find it works great with the 558 and has the reputation of doing well with HD 600 and 650 as well (the gain is adjustable).

Good luck in your search, let us know what you choose.

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 9
Yeah I was leaning towards the E07K too, it's cheap and yet effective.

I did check out the Aune T1, but how bulky it is plus that light on top and that you have to plug in and be stationary turned me off.

Thank you both for your reply and suggestion.

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 9
Yeah I was leaning towards the E07K too, it's cheap and yet effective.
I did check out the Aune T1, but how bulky it is plus that light on top and that you have to plug in and be stationary turned me off.
Thank you both for your reply and suggestion.

As your a gamer, it might be better to spend a little extra for the Fiio E17.
It comes with a S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) digital input (& USB), so you can still take advantage of a computer's built in sound card. The E07K only comes with a USB digital input, which bypasses sound cards (built in or add-on).
Sometimes the Fiio E17 goes on sale for under $110.

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #9 of 9
Yeah I was thinking that. Right now I have a mac book pro, not a very good sound card. Unfortunately I dont have a lot of money to spend right now, but that might change in the future. I'm sorta contemplating just going for the E07K now and upgrade to something better like a desktop amp in the future. It's such a hard choice to make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back