Looking for suggestions on a durable pair of over the ear headphones for 150$ or less.
Apr 25, 2015 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Tatsuya1221

New Head-Fier
My apologies if this is a long one, as i want to be as thorough as possible to make it easier on everyone.

My luck with headphones is terrible, someone once told me that everyone has one thing that will always break on them, for me that is headphones, even though i am extremely careful with headphones,i have had a sennheiser HD201, 2 sony MDR-V6's and now an audio technica ATH-M40x die on me for one reason or another, for me who lives on a limited budget that is problematic.
As such i'm looking for a new pair of headphones, however this time i'd like to play it a little smarter and get a durable set of headphones with good sound if at all possible.

I prefer neutral sounding headphones like the ath-m40x's and sony mdr-v6's, this is mainly due to the fact that i listen to all genre's of music, from classical, rock, metal, pop, even game and movie soundtracks, while i am willing to try a differing sounding pair of headphones, i will still be listening to all genre's with these headphones.

I will be using these for hours a day, as i spend alot of time at my computer working on various projects.

My sound card has a integrated headphone amp, so i will not be needing a amp.

Durability is key for me, while i am looking at both the audio technica ath-m50x and the vmoda crossfade lp2, i'm leaning more towards the lp2 simply because my luck with the ath-m40x's make me doubt the durability of the m50x, even though i've heard the lp2's tend to favor bass.

Open or closed is something i'm unsure on, i'm willing to try open however i do live in a fairly noisy environment, all of my headphones have been closed back.

I'd like a long cable if possible, but if need be i will get an extender cable.

Detachable cables would be nice, but it's not required as long as the headphones are durable.

As i said before i'm looking at the ath m50x's and the vmoda crossfade lp2's, mainly because i know little about what else i could get, thus why i'm asking for suggestions, i'm willing to listen to anything.

Any help is much appreciated, as i said i am a fan of neutral sounding headphones so neutral and durable would be best if at all possible.

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 12
The MDR V6 is known for a being a tank. If you are easily destroying all these headphones you have listed, I think you are ought of luck on finding something more durable. You need to find out what you are doing to beat up headphones so easily.

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 12
From my experience with headphones, Sennheiser HD 25-1 are very durable, the cable is replaceable, and they're good all-rounders for various music styles. I remember my V6 had quite elevated highs, and the HD 25-1 have sensitive highs too which can sound harsh at times. The bass is a but accentuated but in line with the mids which are well rounded contributing to the nice depth for such on-ear headphones. The soundstage is narrow but the separation doesn't suffer.

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 12
Thing is, i'm doing nothing to destroy them, i should probably point out that neither of the mdr-v6's drivers are dead as much as i need to recable them and/or replace the headband in one case due to fast wire deterioration, the m40x is the only one that seemed to deteriorate to the point of being irreparable due to factory defect.

In fact, i know exactly where in the cabling both the mdr-v6's wire broke, the left driver wire leading into the headband, however i want to have a working pair of headphones before i attempt to fix them, and of course the time to learn exactly how to fix them.

The only pair that could have been considered mistreated were the sennheiser 201's.

Perhaps it has to do with temperatures?
I live in florida thus i keep my house temperature around 80 to cut on electrical costs.

Other than that the only other thing i can think of is turning off my computer while they are connected, or perhaps not putting them in their carrying case at night or when i'm away from my pc.

From my experience with headphones, Sennheiser HD 25-1 are very durable, the cable is replaceable, and they're good all-rounders for various music styles. I remember my V6 had quite elevated highs, and the HD 25-1 have sensitive highs too which can sound harsh at times. The bass is a but accentuated but in line with the mids which are well rounded contributing to the nice depth for such on-ear headphones. The soundstage is narrow but the separation doesn't suffer.

Hmm, i'll see if i can give them a listen to somewhere, but either way i'll seriously consider them, thank you.

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 12
Well, if you are simply using them SO MUCH that they are wearing out, I wouldn't count on other headphones being any better than the ones you have tried.

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 12
Well, if you are simply using them SO MUCH that they are wearing out, I wouldn't count on other headphones being any better than the ones you have tried.

Are headphones really so brittle though?
The pair of cheapo sony headphones i had before i got my sennheiser 201's lasted me over 5 years of similar use, in fact in that pair's case i also mistreated them, which is why i do not understand why more higher quality headphones have a tendency to fail on me, other than the fact that every one has been 1 sided cabling.

I actually have the headphones that came with an old walkman that still work, but anything above 40$ has a tendency to fail in a year or so at most (walkman still works, for that matter).

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 12
I think it's probably something you are doing. Many people on this forum use their headphones constantly and they last for years.

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #8 of 12
I think it's probably something you are doing. Many people on this forum use their headphones constantly and they last for years.

Well all i can do is look into it, as i said neither of the mdr-v6's are broken as much as i need to rewire them, the ath-m40x's were factory defective.

Well then, do you have any headphones you'd suggest in my price range and preferred type of sound?

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 12
I have the original M50s. My guess is that you might like the M50X. But hard to know for sure.

Well i loved my m40x's for the time when they worked, and i have heard a little of the m50s which i also liked (sounded more sparkly i think is the right word?) so they are pretty high on my list.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #11 of 12
You might also look into and read about the Gemini HSR-1000 (the rebranded Takstar Pro 80). Don't let the low price fool you, this can performs at a very high level and is good on multiple genres of music. I would put it up against several $100-150 cans without hesitation, for what it is worth. Good luck to you!

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 12
  You might also look into and read about the Gemini HSR-1000 (the rebranded Takstar Pro 80). Don't let the low price fool you, this can performs at a very high level and is good on multiple genres of music. I would put it up against several $100-150 cans without hesitation, for what it is worth. Good luck to you!

Hmm, i'll look into them, in fact considering their costs they are within the impulse buy range so i may get a pair anyway, thanks!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back