Looking for suggestions for a newer small/thin form factor DAP/MP3 player
Jun 8, 2021 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

HIGHDEF

New Head-Fier
I still like my 7th Gen iPod Nano but would like something that has aptX or newer codecs. The reason I'm looking is because my Creative Outlier ONE Version 1 headphones recently cut out on one earbud. While looking at Creative's website for another sport pair of headphones to use while working out I was looking at their Creative Outlier Sports which are $30 more than the Creative Outlier ONE V2's! That's a lot more so I wanted to see why they cost so much more when they looked identical with the 6 mm Neodymium magnet Drivers. I don't need anything super fancy but it would like to have better audio quality.

I noticed the main difference in price appears to be due to the AUDIO CODEC's. The Creative Outlier ONE V2 only supports SBC but the Creative sports support aptX, SBC & FastStream. I checked and the 7th Gen iPod Nano I like a lot does not support aptX or FastStream.

So, I was checking out this post and was debating on a newer DAP/mp3 player that does support aptX or FastStream. The thing is most these seem pretty thick and don't seem to have very big screens for playing Videos. I enjoy encoding Videos to play on my iPod while working out on the elliptical or cardio machines to help motivate me. Most these player don't appear to have very good screens for playing videos. I used to Love my iRiver Clix2 the most but it stopped "clicking" after a few years of use and it probably doesn't support these newer codes anyway since it's quite a bit older than my iPod 7th gen. The iPod 7th gen is probably the perfect form factor I just wish they had some sort of firmware updates or something to allow it to support these newer Codes. I don't know how much of a sound difference it would make going from SBC to aptX or FastStream? What's strange, is in the chart on Creative's website it shows the Cheaper Creative Outlier ONE V2's support Bluetooth 5.0 while the more expensive Outlier Sports only support Bluetooth 4.0. Not sure if that makes a difference but I would assume 5.0 is better than 4.0.

Anyway, I would appreciate any input or suggestions to up DAP game!

Jun 16, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 2
BUMP,

No suggestions? So far the one at the top of my list is this Sony NW-A55L or possibly the FiiO M6 or M7. Both these units have the nice thin and light form factor I'm looking for. They also look to have really nice screens. Only issue I have is neither one of them appear to support video playback. Not sure why they consider this an important factor in the newer DAP players? Ideally I would like one that supports a higher fidelity bluetooth stream codec like AptX or something along those lines in addition to video playback. Not sure if I would need or use the USB DAC Function but might be a nice option to have.

Even if you have a suggestion on the best high fidelity Bluetooth streaming that would help.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back