Looking for suggestions for a full size headphone under $300
Mar 7, 2012 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DenverDude

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone -

Here's my story ... Over the last year, I've been listening through a pair of Grado-225i phones powered by a NuForce Icon2 amp that's hooked up to my computer. I've owned Grados before and so I pretty much knew what I was getting, and although I like them, I'm finding two things distinctly lacking:
1. Bass response - I listen to lots of rock (ranging from acoustic to metal), pop, jazz and dance music as well as some ambient and avant garde (e.g., Steve Reich), and the Grados, although clinically accurate on the low end, just don't produce the deeper, punchier bass that I desire.
2. Comfort - After an hour or so, these things simply kill my ears. I have soaped-and-soaked the earpads several times and have tried softer pads, and to no avail. These things simply don't fit my head and ears very well.

So, I'm now looking for a new set of full size cans that are much more comfortable for extended listening and offer a deeper, punchier bass without substantially sacrificing high-end clarity and a warm, full mid.

I would love to hear any suggestions you all might have and your experiences with any full sized headphones that fit my needs.

Your feedback is much appreciated...

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 4
An Icon2?  A used HD600 might be it for you, I think.

The cheapest solution might be to add dynamat xtreme to the backs of the drivers; I get deeper, punchier bass out of my SR325is that way.  I suppose that you are not willing to bend your SR225's headband for a more comfortable fit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back