looking for sub $500 headphones for tv watching/music (open or closed)
Feb 15, 2023 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

canali

Headphoneus Supremus

hi gang:​

looking for sub $500 (maybe even 1k) headphones​

for tv watching/music (open or closed)​

this is one set i'm considering....Philips Audio Fidelio X2HR​

would probably hook it up to a chord mojo 2 or other

Feb 15, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 16
I like the X2HR for movies and gaming. It's ok for music but wouldn't be my first choice sub $500-1000.

Feb 15, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 16
I like the X2HR for movies and gaming. It's ok for music but wouldn't be my first choice sub $500-1000.
Thanks feel free to make some suggestions as I have been out of the headphone game for about 5 years now.... Looking for a good doc headphone set under 1K combo....

Might even just buy some Apple earbuds pro series 2 that I can use both at home as well as I'm walking around ...maybe something more versatile

Feb 15, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 16
The X2HR is nice because it's relatively inexpensive, made fairly well, and doesn't require an amp.

But because it's open back, I wouldn't take it outside... unless there's no one around.

Seems like a closed back might be better for your use case. Are you ok with buying used?

Feb 15, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 16
Yes
The X2HR is nice because it's relatively inexpensive, made fairly well, and doesn't require an amp.

But because it's open back, I wouldn't take it outside... unless there's no one around.

Seems like a closed back might be better for your use case. Are you ok with buying used?
Yes

Feb 15, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 16
Verum one, Sennheiser HD800s, Hifiman Ananda, Sash Tres, Audeze LCD 2/LCD X, Meze 109 Pro, Focal Clear OG. All of these are great options. What kind of music do you usually listen?

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 16
Rock,.classical, jazz
Well, for the last 2 genres id recommend the HD800s. You can get a 2nd hand pair if you stretch your budget to 1k.
It's good for classical Rock but a bit bass light for heavy rock/metal, but if you are willing to EQ, the HD800s is a safe bet.
And it's one of the best HPs for gaming, specially competitive one.

Feb 15, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 16
Ibasso SR2 - Should be discounted soon with the release of the SR3. I haven't found a better headphone, or anything else that gets close to the performance for the price.

Feb 15, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 16
I have a pair of X2HR behind me, they're good value for the money if you want a pair under $100. They do need an amp if you want to equalize or have pre-volume war recordings though. Stock sound, with happy teen music you should be ok, but even Soundblaster X1 will really wake them up in the bass region. For late night TV I'd recommend the Sennheiser Momentum 2 or 3 ear buds, or the Bower & Wilkins PX7 Carbon which I just had last week. Neither will disappoint in their price range.

Feb 17, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #13 of 16

hi gang:​

looking for sub $500 (maybe even 1k) headphones​

for tv watching/music (open or closed)​

this is one set i'm considering....Philips Audio Fidelio X2HR​

would probably hook it up to a chord mojo 2 or other
I would definitely consider the philips fidelio x2. They're not the most technical or neutral headphones but they're still enjoyable to listen to, especially at the price they go for these days.
They're open back so they let external sounds in and they leak sound out.
But for under $500 you could get the the x2 and a pair of closed back akg k371 for more isolated listening, although they won't have as big a Soundstage as the x2

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 16
If you watch TV and movies from an Apple device, the Apple AirPods Max. The spatial audio is quite good for TV and movies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back