Looking for sub-$100 earphones and a beater pair for mowing
Apr 11, 2009 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

D2X2903

New Head-Fier
I asked a while back for recommendations for earphones under $150 to replace broken E3c's and was almost universally pointed to the Audéo PFE's. I've thought about spending that much and it doesn't look like those go for much less than $140. I'll be listening to these using a Creative Zen Vision:M, the headphone port on my computer, and perhaps my Rio Karma if I rehab it.

I'm currently using my KSC50's since my E3c's are useless. I'll be home for the summer soon and will be cutting grass, so I have two requests:

What are the best earphones for around $100? I really liked my E3c's (bass was a little weak) clarity - something I instantly noticed when I started using the KSC50s again. Do you think that the Audéos are worth the extra money to step up from whatever gets recommended for this price range?

Also, is there anything special out there for less than $20? In-ear for sound isolation (hearing protection
wink.gif
) is desirable. If not, I'll just get the cheapest in-ear phones I can find online.

Thanks!

Apr 11, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 17
For a beater pair of sound isolating buds I use Koss Plugs...you can find them at retail stores like Fred Meyer & Shopko for around $15 bucks. They are quite comfortable (to me) and don't go all the way down into your ear canal. I use them for mowing and long road trips on the motorcycle.

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 17
The Audeo, as fantastic sounding as it is, will not be the best choice in regards to isolation. It does an ok job, but against something like a lawnmower it won't stand a chance. Maybe consider an Etymotic IEM if you would like the best isolating + clarity.

Apr 11, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 17
How is the warranty handled with the Turbines? Monster's website seems to imply that I can only get warranty coverage if I buy the Turbines through an "authorized dealer" like Amazon, which would be a bummer because I've found several sites that sell the Turbines for ~$100 instead of Amazon's $150.

Apr 11, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #8 of 17
The Klipsch Custom 2's are going pretty cheap now too... 100 dollars for them, and they will smoke the Shure e3 too...

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 17
The Klipsch Custom-2's are $95 on Amazon while the Turbines are ~$105 on various sites, $150 at Amazon. How do the Custom-2's compare to the Turbines?

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mefferz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a beater pair of sound isolating buds I use Koss Plugs...you can find them at retail stores like Fred Meyer & Shopko for around $15 bucks. They are quite comfortable (to me) and don't go all the way down into your ear canal. I use them for mowing and long road trips on the motorcycle.

Those or JVC Marshmallows. The JVCs are a bit more expensive, but they're essentially earplugs (like the koss) and sound better.

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by volntitan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you take the Klipsch and Monster's over the NuForce?

NuForce... Hadn't heard of them until now. What model?

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #15 of 17
Interesting review of the Nuforce phones (and the higher priced 8s as well) in the current (May) Playback Magazine:

Playback Magazine | Issue 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back