Looking for sub-$100 closed cans...
Oct 25, 2004 at 12:08 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by SyntheticDream
if you are even considering canal and would spend up to 66 bucks i would suggest the shure e2c... i just got them and i think they are a great pair of canalphones for $65... i bought the sony ex71s before the e2c and i could not stand the sony... the bass is just bloated and the highs/mids were so harsh i immediately had to find something else.. you can get the shure at computers4sure.com

One thing that concerns me about canalphones is the fit. I tried Koss "The Plug" and had a very bad experience, and though I'm sure the ec2's would have a better fit, I still don't know whether I'd be better off just getting over-the-head cans.

Oct 25, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #17 of 32
Well, the plugs use weird foam inserts that don't seem to fit well for anyone.
Most canalphones offer multiple ways of usage, such as rubber inserts (sometimes of different sizes), better foamies (sometimes of different sizes), etc etc. I don't think you should let the crappy koss plugs turn you off to a whole type of headphone, because they truly suck.

Oct 25, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #18 of 32
headroom says that the beyerdynamic dt231 are a great set of closed headphones in the sub 100 dollar range.
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #19 of 32
Meh, looks like I'll go with the FC7's. Hope I enjoy them!

Oct 25, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziddy
Meh, looks like I'll go with the FC7's. Hope I enjoy them!

It's a good choice, really, considering your pricing constraint. Audio-technica has really started to grow on me lately....

Oct 25, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #21 of 32
ChickenScrtchBoy: fc7
someone will have it at the NYC meet in november 13th.

getting the ex71 would be a big waste of money. you should get the sharp hd-md33s. they have alot of bass, but isnt bloated like the ex71. they are very comfortable. the isolation will be better than overhead closed phones.

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:42 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
70mm, it can cover my ears which is good for cold weather.

Heh the A-T site says 80mm, but ok
smily_headphones1.gif

Do they offer any isolation and how much do they leak? and how do the various headband mechanisms work? (ie the one that lets you hang them around your neck easier and the normal sizing ones)

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #25 of 32
i think they are right about the measurement then.

they leak very little, you would only hear it in a quiet room. the isolation is as good or better than the eggo and px200, which is enough for me to use in downtown actaully.

well first they can fold like that. basicly you can stretch out the headband until it clicks and stay in place, then you can hang it over your neck.

lastly, i had to mod it because the driver was sitting on my ears and made it uncomfortable. i like the sound with the mod on though. other people seem not to be bothered as much as i am.

Oct 25, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonegeek
headroom says that the beyerdynamic dt231 are a great set of closed headphones in the sub 100 dollar range.
biggrin.gif

They are quite nice, and have the sort of smooth and extended bass that I imagine the original poster is looking for. However they aren't really closed - they look closed, and have a closed sound, and provide some isolation from outside sounds, but they leak some of their sound to the outside world. If she's in the same room, my wife can hear the sound from my DT231's all too well.

Which is too bad, because otherwise I'd like them a lot. One day I may see if I can mod them somehow.

Oct 25, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
i ordered from audiocubes three times. they ship expres, from japan. the processing takes a few days. it usualy take 9days to arrive after you made the order.

Oh and I thought 7 days for my HD280's was long
eek.gif

Do you live on the east coast? Because I don't think an express plane ride would take 9-"a few" days...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back