looking for Sturdy, Closed, Neutral headphones in the $100-$225 range
Dec 2, 2019 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Garquill

New Head-Fier
My pair of headphones for the last 7 years have been the Shure SRH840s, known for their neutrality. I like them a lot, but the durability on them is garbage (looking for preferably metal connections on the cups). I could accept a bit more bass.

bonus points for cyber monday deals

I almost got vmoda m-100s but their high bass and low midrange scare me.

And just for fun I'll entertain something up to $300 if it's just absolutely perfect for my needs.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 6
The obvious choice would be a pair of Sennheiser hd-280 pros for about $99, or you could go slightly more upscale with the Focal Spirit Professionals for $250.

Both very neutral and, in my experience, very robust, although the Focals are a little snug on my pumpkin head.

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 6
My pair of headphones for the last 7 years have been the Shure SRH840s, known for their neutrality. I like them a lot, but the durability on them is garbage (looking for preferably metal connections on the cups). I could accept a bit more bass. bonus points for cyber monday deals I almost got V-moda m-100s but their high bass and low midrange scare me.
And just for fun I'll entertain something up to $300 if it's just absolutely perfect for my needs.
Wow, you say their durability is garbage......but they lasted 7 years?
What sources or DAC/amps are you going to plug the headphones into?
Does it matter if the headphones are open or closed?

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 6
Wow, you say their durability is garbage......but they lasted 7 years?
What sources or DAC/amps are you going to plug the headphones into?
Does it matter if the headphones are open or closed?
Nah, the first pair had to be superglued together twice until the left ear died, and then I paid for a replacement, which then had to be superglued back together 3 times. They both had bad cable issues too.

I'd prefer closed but I'm considering semi or open... I just really don't want to hear my roommate complaining about everything all day.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 6
Nah, the first pair had to be superglued together twice until the left ear died, and then I paid for a replacement, which then had to be superglued back together 3 times. They both had bad cable issues too.
I'd prefer closed but I'm considering semi or open... I just really don't want to hear my roommate complaining about everything all day.
Massdrop/AKG K553 Pro headphones
Sennheiser HD598Cs headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back