Looking for studio/mixing headphones
Apr 28, 2008 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

iPatcH

500+ Head-Fier
So I'm going to start investing in gear for live music performances (electronic stuff, from my laptop) and I am working on getting a little "workstation" set up in my house. I don't care too much for speakers (although I don't doubt that there are great studio monitors, but this is a headphone forum sooo :p), and I would like to find some headphones that are relatively flat and can be worn for long periods without too much fatigue. I'm a Grado guy, so pretty much anything is less fatiguing than them, but you know~

I'm not sure 225's are very good for mixing and generally using for reference with other speakers, so I was curious if any of you had any suggestions. I was told that dt880's are pretty flat and my experience with beyer phones is that they are all very comfy. I have an amp (PA2v2) but I changed the gain to work with lower impedance stuff (Grado), so would I need to invest in one?

To be honest, I'm looking for anything I could potentially trade my SR225 for, give or take some cash.

All the best.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #3 of 6
I sold them. ;(

Oh haha I have them in my sig still...

Apr 28, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 6
For recording you need a closed headphone. At least if you are recording some singing or real instruments and that the musicians have to hear the melody. I'm using my DJX-1 for this. It's not the optimal solution, as it is a bit uncomfortable after a while of wearing. Never the less it has a good timing behaviour (fast attack and delay) and seems tonaly correct to me.
For mixing and composing I either use my DT-990 (danceable stuff for the clubs) or my Lambda (for everything else). If I use my DT-990 then I do a final check with my K-501 to see if the bass and trebble level is ok and if there any "smeared" sound or distortion. The DT-990 is great for simulating a club athmosphere, but it's a bit hard to hear if you did a bit to much amplification and if there is distortion. The K-501 is like a good home stereo where you would hear these distortions easily. The Stax Lambdas are somehow a good mixture of the two. They have the frequency extension of the Beyer and the speed and detail of the AKG. I'd say a Stax 202 is all you need.

Apr 28, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 6
AFAIK the most important thing when mixing (on headphones or speakers) is to know your source well and how it translates.

That said, I recently bought a cd that I learned was mixed mainly on a pair of DT-990s. The sound is really good, so I guess (without personal experiene though) that the DT-990s are certainly capable of producing a great mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back