Looking for studio headphones
Jul 30, 2005 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

EoY

Head-Fier
What are the good options of headphones to use in a studio, plugged in directly to a Clavia Nordic Electro 2 keyboard (without headphone amp)?

My price range is rather low, 70-150€

Jul 30, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 10
for some reason i keep thinking the V6's, K240s, or some kind of sennheisers or grados.

Jul 31, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 10
The Sony V6 and AKG 240 have been a staple in the industry for years. AKG came out with the 271s not too long ago for the same market.

Jul 31, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 10
The V6 is a good option if the music you're listening to is recorded with a linear mic - the frequency response is EXTREMELY flat.

However, if your music is recorded with a non-linear mic (and chances are it is), you'll want cans with more recessed lows and highs.

At least, that's what I hear.

Jul 31, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 10
Not sure what that translates to in US dollars but MDRV6, ATH-M40, or HD280 would be my suggestion.

I cant comment on the M40, but I have the V6 and early next week will have an HD280 to play around with.

Garrett

Jul 31, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by psyco1
The Sony V6 and AKG 240 have been a staple in the industry for years. AKG came out with the 271s not too long ago for the same market.

Make sure if you're getting the AKG 240 as a reference you buy the M version. I think the DF is supposed to be pretty good too (made for broadcasting). The 240s is overly bassy so they may not be the best thing for monitoring.

The Sennheiser HD280's are pretty nice.

Jul 31, 2005 at 9:43 AM Post #7 of 10
Reading reviews of the Sennheiser I noticed that everyone says that they let a lot of sound through, and that's what I really want to avoid. Also, I don't recon Grado had any closed phones? (I'm a great grado fan)

Got to check out the sony's and akg.

Jul 31, 2005 at 11:20 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by EoY
Reading reviews of the Sennheiser I noticed that everyone says that they let a lot of sound through, and that's what I really want to avoid. Also, I don't recon Grado had any closed phones? (I'm a great grado fan)

Got to check out the sony's and akg.

The Senn HD280 do NOT let much sound in. In fact, if I'm listening to music, I can't hear anything else.

You must have read reviews for another can...

The HD280 is a bit rolled off at both extremes but you'll have to compromise somewhere.

Jul 31, 2005 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by EoY
Also, I don't recon Grado had any closed phones? (I'm a great grado fan).

[size=small]
Grado may not have closed phones, but studio phones do not have to be closed. If I recall correctly, the Joe Grado HP-1000 series were originally designed to be studio phones. I personally have heard no phones that can touch the HP2's as far as sheer transparency is concerned, and transparency (the ability to let the music signal through with as little coloration as possible) is suposed to be the defining characteristic of a studio phone.
[/size]

Aug 1, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #10 of 10
The Sony's aren't completely closed (at least, that's why I upgraded to DT770's -- because I wanted better isolation), but I would otherwise recommend them as a great monitoring phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back