Looking for SS amp recommendations
Apr 9, 2021 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

noobphile101

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have a Yggdrasil DAC and a pre-amp connected to my genelec speakers for my desktop setup.

I also have an EC ZDS for powering my headphones, I'm in the market for a solid state amp and I've heard a lot of good things about the EC Black widow 2 but unfortunately they're hard to find and not readily available. Is there anything similar or better that I should be taking a look at? My price range would be 1-3k USD

Headphone/IEM list
EE Legend X
MDR Z1R
HD800S
Focal Utopia

Apr 9, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 7
#1: Drop THX AAA 789
Excellent build, runs cool, 3 gain settings, dead quiet for IEM's on low gain. Plenty of power for any headphone. Has 4-pin balanced out and 1/4 + 3.5mm headphone jacks. Super quiet and measures extremely well.

#2: Topping L30 ( 2012 version or newer )
Love the small footprint. It looks great in silver. Plenty of power and dead silent. Runs all my headphones with ease. Well measured.

I don't think there is a need to go crazy with your budget for a headphone amp. Go with something that has been measured and well reviewed is your best bet for longevity and proper engineering.

Apr 9, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 7
Excellent build, runs cool, 3 gain settings, dead quiet for IEM's on low gain. Plenty of power for any headphone. Has 4-pin balanced out and 1/4 + 3.5mm headphone jacks. Super quiet and measures extremely well.

Love the small footprint. It looks great in silver. Plenty of power and dead silent. Runs all my headphones with ease. Well measured.

I don't think there is a need to go crazy with your budget for a headphone amp. Go with something that has been measured and well reviewed is your best bet for longevity and proper engineering.
Sorry, I'm not interested in either of those amps. They are also outside of my price range

Apr 9, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 7
... He's saying there's no real reason to spend $1-3k on an amp, given what you're running. All your stuff is fairly easy to drive, so all you really need is clean power, not a ton of it. But sure, spend the money if you want.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 7
Agreed, basically everything drives your cans. So look for solid EE or if you can't judge, go by design (and price).

Apr 10, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 7

Both gonna sound like crap if he heard EC. Look into BHA-1. Headamp, over-rated. Looks nice, but sound is a different story. Gilmore designs are just another plain edgy solid-state designs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back