Looking for SQ in an Android phone? Try the new...Priv????
Nov 15, 2015 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cpt000

New Head-Fier
Supposedly quite good...

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=230900

" First is the DAC in this device.  It's excellent.  If you like your music loud it won't be enough, but that's why God made little outboard headphone amplifiers.  Just buy one if you insist on maximum volume.  FiiO makes some decent ones; they're not great, but they're inexpensive and loud.

If your thing is clarity and clean sound reproduction, however, you're going to be happy.

I have both a pair of decent over-the-ear monitors that I usually use when shooting video and similar (since they block out ambient sound quite nicely) and a set of decently-expensive Shure earbuds.  The Sony monitors could use a bit more volume; the earbuds are fine unless you like damaged hearing.  But the clarity is excellent, and that's far more important than raw volume.  If I want an immersion level experience with the Sony's I have to get out the external amp (and it had better be a good one if you don't want to destroy the nice, quiet Priv soundstage because the noise floor on the Priv is wayyyyyy down there.)

BlackBerry has always tended to put really nice DACs in their phones and this one is no exception.  I don't know who makes it, but the frequently-found "mud and noise show" in phones is blessedly missing.  I can readily identify the difference between a FLAC and MP3 file of the same song; that's usually the province of things beyond the cellphone realm.  They also paid attention to isolation; many cellphones "bleed" RF into the audio channel; it's fairly tricky to not have it happen in such close quarters.  Bravo."

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 3
I have one on order. I hope to receive it some time next week and then I will need to find some time to get my SIM card changed from micro to nano size, which I believe the Priv accepts.

I have never been excited about getting a phone before but I have to say that I am quite excited about this one. I'm hoping that this will finally be the start of a little comeback for BlackBerry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back