Looking for speakers similar to B&W A7?
Jul 8, 2013 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kzhlin

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm looking for something like the B&W A7 that can fill a room (dorm or small apartment sized) with good and clean audio. I like the airplay feature on the A7 for parties/relaxing and what not, but other times I'll probably have it plugged into my computer via USB for the better sound quality. Do you guys have any other suggestions on speakers?

I purchased the Bose SoundLink II about a year ago because it seemed like the only decent portable wireless speaker at the time, but now I'm looking for something that doesn't have to be portable, but not too big (e.g., large luggage case sized towers).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kevin

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #3 of 4
I was just looking into this a couple weeks ago, and ended up with the above average Klipsch G17 for $150 from BestBuy.  I have the MM1, P5, and C5 myself so I know Bowers and Wilkins' sound quality well, but for the price the G17 is hard to beat.  I ran extensive tests on it after reading all those negative reviews, but I have yet to run into any major problems.  It is wall mountable too so that's a plus.

p.s. just double check on price from BestBuy, and the G17 is back at $500, which is not worth it.  Only consider the G17 if you can find one for less then $200.

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 4
To actually fill up a room i would pick speakers with bigger sound stage and sound good soft or much louder tbh Also consider a 8-10" active sub?

Agreed. For the price of the B&W A7, you could get an Apple Airport Express and then speakers with bigger drivers (and maybe a sub, too) that would better fill a room. For example, look into the Emotiva Airmotiv 5 or Airmotiv 6 which are currently on sale. The Airmotiv 6 are rated as low as the B&W A7. And you would also be able to place them spread apart for better soundstage, imaging, and more room filling sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back