Looking for source recommendations
Apr 15, 2007 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 1: Plug power cable into wall. Step 2: Plug other end of power cable into....umm.... Step 0.5: Order something to power with power cable.
I'm running a pair of monsoon mm 1000's off my stock soundcard. I'm thinking of a source upgrade but I'm not sure what my best option is. The speakers are self powered so I'm looking at:

-cheap soundcard + external dac
-good soundcard
-usb dac

The combo needs to be able to play music and games. Performance isn't an issue. I'm wondering where I'm going to get the best sound quality and bang for the buck from.

Biggie.

Apr 16, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, how important are environmental audio effects / surround sound (EAX) when you're gaming?

Budget not important, those things above are probably not important, unless some games require them?

I'm looking to buy something nice, so whatever nice is going to cost me, thats what I'll spend.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Apr 16, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #5 of 11
No budget? Check out the $1,275 Benchmark DAC-1 USB.

The non-USB Benchmark DAC-1 sells for $975, and you could also look at the Lavry DA-10 ("Black") (also $975).

For less money, check out the offerings from E-MU. The 0202 USB, 0404 USB, and 1212M all sell for between $120 and $200. I own the 1212M and can vouch for its high audio quality.

The best compromise between gaming and audio will be something from Creative's X-Fi line ($80-$300).

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #6 of 11
What about something like a Chaintech av710 hooked up to a ~500$ used dac. What kind of performance should I expect?

Biggie.

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #7 of 11
That depends on the DAC. What can you get for $500 used? The higher-end DACs I mentioned sell for around $750 used.

The Chaintech AV-710's drivers aren't exactly stable, and there are no Windows Vista drivers (or announcements that ones are being made).

Actually... I think you should upgrade your speakers first. New speakers will give you a much greater improvement than just a DAC (or any other piece of audio equipment) would. I'm not saying that your current speakers are bad, just that they'll make the differences between a $100 DAC and a $1,000 DAC seem either slim or nonexistent.

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 11
One step at a time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #9 of 11
Another question for ya, what type of sound signature do you prefer? Bright and detailed, Aggressive and forward, Warm and laidback, etc.? The chaintech would be a good choice if you want to use an external dac. The chaintech drives suck but just get the latest ones from VIA.

Apr 17, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #10 of 11
just get a DAC that cossts ~$400... i thought the dimishing rturns comes around that point...

Apr 17, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just get a DAC that cossts ~$400... i thought the dimishing rturns comes around that point...

Diminishing returns depends on how much you're willing to spend before you stop hearing the differences and/or your money runs out.
biggrin.gif

IMO, there aren't any stand-out DACs in the $300-$700 range. You could probably find cheaper solutions that would either meet or exceed those DACs. Near the $1k mark, you'll start to find pro-audio DACs, and that's where the differences begin.

Consider this: You can buy the same DAC that's used in Digidesign's ProTools|HD 192 I/O ($3,995 MSRP) in the E-MU 1212M sound card for $150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back