Looking for sound similar to Ultrasone HFI-780
Aug 7, 2015 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TotallyMonkey

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I really like the sound of the Ultrasone HFI-780, but I can't stand the fit of the headphone.  It clamps my head oddly (I wear glasses), and generally just feels crappy to me.  I replaced the pleather pads with velour and that helped a bit, but I don't think it's enough to save them.  Does anyone have any recommendations on a set that would give a similar style of sound, but be more comfortable to a glasses wearer?

Thanks!

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 5

I was ready to dump my HFI-780 on eBay but a few posts here on head-fi suggested that maybe they are salvageable even for the eyeglass-wearers like me. Over the years that I had them I almost got used to their sound but the pain'n'sweat of wearing them was simply unbearable! Beyerdynamic EDT 250V velour pads (bought at Sweetwater) got installed first and fixed the sweat factor. It was mentioned here that HFI-780 headband cuts into your scull like a knife... well, in my case only after installing velour earpads I've noticed how sooo true that is
confused_face.gif

Here is my fix:
"Black Foam Headband Cushion Pad for Sennheiser HD600 HD580 Headphone Headset" - $2.09 off eBay with free delivery from China:

peel off pleather cushion, pay attention not to pull out the wire. The glue used by Ultrasone sticks better to vinyl wire insulation than to rubberized headband

cut Senn cushion to size:

roughen the surface with 150-400 grit sandpaper. Rubberized plastic of HFI-780 needs some extra efforts here, just don't damage wire insulation

To make this "mod" easily reversible I suggest using mounting tape.  I also used a thin strip of masking tape to keep the wire in its groove and to prevent it from being pulled out again

Senn cushion is a tiny bit wider (?1mm, 1/16"?) than needed so the added thickness of the mounting tape works much better than double-sided Scotch tape.

The pain is gone!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back