Looking for something that is comparable in sound quality to the AKG 702s but different brand/model
Aug 6, 2014 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LifeIsGood4

New Head-Fier
So I just want to say when the 702s worked for me they were fantastic. Best sound quality I've ever heard. Unfortunately I found them to be very uncomfortable and then the right headphone stopped working. That was kind of the last straw so I'm looking for something new. I owned a pair of AD700s for a very long time and found them to be very comfortable so maybe I'm looking for something designed like that but with the quality of the 702s. Im mainly using my Audioengine D1 Premium 24-bit DAC through my computer to listen to music and play games. I pretty desperately need a new pair so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. My budget is between 2-400$ but I would rather that be on the lower end if at all possible.

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 8
Have you heard of the K712? AKG finally got rid of the bumped headband with the latest K7xx model (well, and the K612 too). The K712 is $350 on Amazon right now, which is a pretty good deal for a new set.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #5 of 8

The little elastic straps where I circled is why I personally find the 702s uncomfortable ( they make the headstrap dig into my head Im gonna be honest and say I even went as far as cutting the elsatic bands and I still didnt find it real comfortable just not enough cushion for me) then when the right ear died it just wasn't worth messing with anymore . I checked out the 712s and look like they have the same design. So as much as I love the sound of my 702s its not worth buying another pair with the same design.

So anyone have an opinion on whether I will like the HD 600 or HD650 ? Or should I look somewhere else ? Im using a Audioengine D1 Premium 24-bit DAC playing basically all genres of music and games. My budget is around 400$.

edit: also I should probably say I'd be open to upgrading to a better amp in the future

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 8
^ The HE-400 headband isn't padded either and would probably be just as uncomfortable for you. If you want a padded headband for comfort, get the HD600. Or check out Head-Fi's 2014 Summer Buying Guide (linked around the site) for more options.

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #8 of 8
I have AKG 701s (and at one time had 702s). I also own an HE-400 and Sennheiser HD 600. All are good headphones, but in my opinion differ greatly in sound. You will not find that the latter two sound like the AKGs. On the other hand, you may be perfectly happy with the HE or Sennheisers. I still prefer the AKGs over the other two for most types of music, and I am not the least bit bothered by comfort issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back