looking for something stylish yet quality
Jan 14, 2010 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

shroomss

New Head-Fier
hey all,

My skullcandy skullcrushers broke about a month ago--the sub woofer went dead--after about 2 months of use. I'm deciding whether to send them in and use my warranty or if I should invest in something of more quality.

so i'm looking for some full size over ear phones that are good looking and produce quality sound; up to par with skullcrushers or better.

Requirements:

1. very strong bass. i listen to a lot of bass heavy music - hip hop, drum & bass, electro, etc.

2. strong higher frequencies as well. I listen to a lot of metal. the higher frequencies don't need to sound as good as the bass but it shouldn't sound like crap.

3. something that won't break the bank.
@Empire: >$120

Thanks, sorry if i'm a bit picky.

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 26
Loved the AudioTechnica ES7, good amount of bass, sparkly highs and good looking too. Sounds like it fits your needs.

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 26
i've heard talk that the skullcrushers have the most genuine and sparingly used bass of any headphone in the market, EVER. also people say the treble is really nice and soothing.

theres a 1% chance that i'm wrong though.

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 26
+1 on ES7. They fit well within your budget if you consider buying them used, or if you look for a good refurbished deal (like the Beach Camera deal from not so long ago). Very stylish (although the headband mod is STRONGLY suggested to make them look better) and delivers satisfying bass, while remaining clear at the top and throughout the spectrum.

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 26
hmm, the FC700 is considerably smaller. it looks like they skullcandy lowrider's which i have already .

Actually, i can get the ES7's for half the msrp on amazon. audiotechnica website says $170, whereas i can black ES7's for ~$80. definitely viable now.

question: what kind of finish is on the ES7's. i've been looking at pictures and some have a matte finish and others have a glossy, chrome finish. also some look round on the outside and some definitely look flat.

which one is it lol?

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by shroomss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm, the FC700 is considerably smaller. it looks like they skullcandy lowrider's which i have already .

Actually, i can get the ES7's for half the msrp on amazon. audiotechnica website says $170, whereas i can black ES7's for ~$80. definitely viable now.

question: what kind of finish is on the ES7's. i've been looking at pictures and some have a matte finish and others have a glossy, chrome finish. also some look round on the outside and some definitely look flat.

which one is it lol?

It's chrome-like mirror finish (so you definitely have to take care or put on a screen protector if you don't want to scratch the shiny surface), and the cups are flat.

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by shroomss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

which one is it lol?

flat, very shiny/glossy.

@k_19 - you beat me to it!

with these screen protectors do you have to cut out the circular shape yourself? I keep my es7s in a grado hardcase to try to avoid scratches

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #11 of 26
I like the look of the XB700's, plus they have good sound.

Sony MDR-XB700 - Headphones | HeadRoom Audio

Most people probably wouldn't wear them out in public, but I'd much rather be seen with these than with other brands. :p

Oh, other sites have these for cheaper. They can usually be had for about $80.

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #12 of 26
The ES7 are stylish and more importantly nice sounding. You'll never buy Skullcandies again.

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's chrome-like mirror finish (so you definitely have to take care or put on a screen protector if you don't want to scratch the shiny surface), and the cups are flat.

Quote:

flat, very shiny/glossy.

great, that's what i was hoping. they look awesome.

the only thing keeping me back is the bass. no one has really commented on how well the bass delivers.

and @kukuk, sorry but those are the ugliest things i have ever seen.

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #15 of 26
jjinh: You'd have to get a DIY skin from Bestskinsever or their variants and cut the shape out yourself. Never got around to doing it myself, but should be easy enough with the right tools.

All I can comment there with the bass issue is that if you find the ES7's bass lacking, then you are probably a SERIOUS basshead. ES7 throws down some serious (and IMO bit TOO heavy at times) bass compared to others in its price range. It does get tighter with burn in, but there will always be a slight boom... it's basically at the limit of the bass threshold that I can tolerate. Then again, of course, if you're looking for Skullkrusher-type bass, then that's a different story; you're not gonna find anything like that here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back