Looking for something more...
Nov 11, 2016 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nicka727

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. I'll try to make this quick and to the point. Currently own a pair of HE400i and ATH-M50. While the 400i sound super clear and sound fantastic, I'm looking for something with more of a bass punch like the M50's have, but with the clarity and level of detail that the 400i's have.

I listen to a lot of "Top 20's" music and hip-hop/rap and I often find the 400i's lacking in the sub-bass.

I'm powering them out of a Schiit Magni 2 and Modi 2. Open/Closed doesn't make a difference as I'm going to use them just in my house. Price isn't too big of a factor but obviously the cheaper the better.

Appreciate any suggestions!

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #4 of 8
The dt1770 has serious bass punch and it has good clarity. The mids are a bit subdued but it should share a sound signature not too far off from the m50

I've just bought a pair of these, and am very pleased with them, especially where the bass is concerned. PERFECT for rock/pop etc.
OK, they haven't got the mid-range presence, or purity of more 'accurate' headphones, but they are just a hoot to listen too, and relatively cheap too. Highly recommended!

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #5 of 8
  The Fostex TH-600 should have the clarity and the bass punch you are looking for.

You could also try equalising the HE-400i's. That might be the cheapest solution.

This might sound strange but if I run the 400i's out of the Modi 2 and apply an EQ, it immediately becomes unlistenable and super muddy. If I run them straight out of my PC, I can apply any EQ I want with no sound distortion at all. Very confused by this..

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #6 of 8

This might sound strange but if I run the 400i's out of the Modi 2 and apply an EQ, it immediately becomes unlistenable and super muddy. If I run them straight out of my PC, I can apply any EQ I want with no sound distortion at all. Very confused by this..

That does seem weird indeed.

What equaliser do you use? Many standard equalisers add distortion to the music. Having the right software can help a lot. It also helps to know how to equalise properly. Here is a guide:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/794467/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-2016-update

I think the Modi 2 has the cleaner audio signal and just translates the audio signal more true to the source. Straight out of your PC, the audio might seem less distorted, but that might also be because the lack of headroom of the integrated amp (not enough power) softens the more disturbing distortion. Still seems weird, but I am trying to make sense of it somehow.

Nov 11, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 8

Kinda weird indeed...this probably wont fix that issue,but a lot of muddiness comes from the 250hz region,but your problem sounds more like a tech issue.

Nov 11, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 8
Kinda weird indeed...this probably wont fix that issue,but a lot of muddiness comes from the 250hz region,but your problem sounds more like a tech issue.

I noticed that my bass heavy headphones sound cleaner when I cut some bass at around 250hz. Pretty cool that my ears were doing it right. It's probably because of the built in equalizer in his music player

Users who are viewing this thread

Back