looking for something more aggressive
Jan 25, 2005 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sr20dem0n

Head-Fier
hey all, this is my first real post here, seems like a nice forum you have. I'm pretty active on most of the car audio forums on the net, but I've only started getting into headphones pretty recently.

Right now I have a set of Sony V600's and Senn hd595s. I must say the Sonys blow, but I'm very happy with the 595s. The detail and clarity on them is amazing, but they seem too....laid back for a lot of the music I listen to (hard rock, metal, etc). Right now they're unamped, but they're the 50ohm version and they seem to be doing decent off of my computer sound card (chaintech 710). I know that regardless, an amp will really open them up, I'm just wondering if it will really give me the little "piece" I'm missing right now or if I should try out something else, maybe some Grados.

I guess my point is that I'll have the money for both a set of new cans and an amp (I was planning on the supermacro) eventually, but I can only afford one of the two right now, the other will have to wait a month or 2 for my tax refund. Do you think it would be a wiser choice to go with an amp for my 595s now, or maybe get some Grado 225s (or another, recommendations open) instead and wait a month or 2 on an amp?

Thanks for any help

Jan 25, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 16
Go with the Grados
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 16
i assume most people will say grados, as would i , but maybe some alessandros?
rolleyes.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 16
SR-225s are great for rock.

I like the kick drum thunder of my DT770/80

If youre on a tighter budget an amped portapro or KSC75.
K240s go for $70 new on ebay

Garrett

Jan 25, 2005 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 16
the sr-225 look nice, as do the beyer 880's

Since I've never heard either, can anyone give some insight as to what the specific differences will be? Also, does anyone know of a good place to order either? Most of the places I see have the 225's at $200 and the 880's at $250, I'm just curious if there's some cheaper place I haven't found yet.

Jan 25, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

when you say grados...the ms1/ms2's are implied

thats why my emoticon was for, to imply the obvisousness of my statement, but the ms-1's are priced well. and if hes down for 225 money the ms-2 are not much more over all.

we should prolly hear some more info before we just blurt a bunch of cans.

Jan 25, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #11 of 16
sorry, for a budget I'm flexible, I mean I'm willing to save up for what I want, but I'd rather not spend the next couple months saving up without any immediate reward so I'd like to keep it under $250. If there's something drastically better for only a little bit more I could always sell some of the car audio that's just collecting dust in my room, but I would really like to keep it closer to $210-220, with $250 being the theoretical "maximum".

And to address Iron_Dreamer's question, I'd consider myself more of a guitar guy

Jan 25, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sr20dem0n
And to address Iron_Dreamer's question, I'd consider myself more of a guitar guy

Get the 225's then. The metal Grados (325, MS2) aren't as sweet sounding with guitar IMO as the 225's and RS-1's. The metal ones are much better put together though, so that is something to consider. Best way to decide would be to find a dealer and audition them for yourself.

Feb 3, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #13 of 16
Just like to say that I got the 225s in today. I wasn't too thrilled with them at first, but after a little EQing (the <100hz area was lacking pretty heavily) and flipping the bowls around backwards they're quite a bit better. I already have the senn 414 pads coming in the mail in the next day or 2 so that should help even more. After the EQing they're definitely what I was looking for though, thanks for the help.

Feb 3, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #15 of 16
Excellent - don't forget to get the amp in 2 months time =) ... it would definitely improve sound coming from card's line output, otherwise bass + midbass would stay more or less thin like it is now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back