Looking for something like a Grado, just not a Grado
Sep 27, 2008 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

iPodschun

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a change. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 580 being run through a HeadAmp GS-1 that I'm very pleased with. It's not that I want to "upgrade," but rather that I'm curious to try other headphones. The 580s are great and I enjoy the sound, but I want something different from the "Sennheiser sound."

I think the most obvious way to go based on what I've read would be a Grado. However I owned a pair of SR-60 that I found pretty uncomfortable with the comfy pads, so I imagine that the bowls or flats would be even worse.

So it would seem that the target is a Grado, but not a Grado. Don't care about open or closed, but something comfortable, definitely. People on another forum recommended Beyer DT880s to me based on "comfortable with a non-Sennheiser sound," and now I'm looking for feedback here.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 25
Why not go with AKG 601's? Comfortable, open cans, not Grado, not Sennheiser--sort of inbetween the two. I like Grado and find them comfortable enough -- 60 and 325i -- but I have tough ears, I guess.

Cheers!

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 25
Budget?

Audio Technica? I am a grado fan and really enjoy the ES7s from AT. I haven't tried the A900s or higher, but they might be something to look at also.

Mooch

Sep 27, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 25
Try the AKG K240 sextett. It sounds a bit like a "Grado'ed AKG"

It sounds great with the GS-1 and it's also cheap.

Sep 27, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moocher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Budget?

Oh right.

I used $300 as a budget on the other forum, but I have no qualms in going up higher. Just nothing too outrageous!

Thanks for the recommendations so far.

Sep 27, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #7 of 25
ditto on dt880

nice sparkly treble of the Grado, but with GOBS of detail, nice tight bass, supreme comfort, and superb soundstage. Some say its a bit TOO sibilant at times, but these are the same people who are utterly allergic to that Grado Magic, so I wouldnt mind them
wink.gif

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #8 of 25
Ultrasone Proline/Pro: they're everything a Grado aspires to be, pleasantly forward, but with the kind of bass and expansive soundstage that the (SR) Grados simply cannot deliver, IMHO. : )

Sep 27, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #9 of 25
definitely forget the DT880,compared to Grado They are just like Black and White.You will not like it.
It's too neutral for me. I've found it's so boring when I listen to most of my music.

I am the one who loves Grados sound but buyed DT880 to try something new.Yeah now I want to sell it back.

I donn't know how can I compair the ATH with the Grados.I only own ATH AD700 and I know It (not like the Grados) lacks Bass. But I do love them(I owned HD600,HD650,K701 in the past but I didn't like them much.I've never tried the Denons and something else).It's fun to listen the music through them.So far only the ATH and the Grados have impressed me. I've read many reviews here and It seems that AD900 is a better version of AD700 and it's fit your budget.
But like I said I havn't owned the AD900 so I can not 100% suggest you to buy them.But just want to tell you how my feeling on the DT880 is.

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #10 of 25
The Ultrasone HFI-780 has Grado-like mdis/highs, plus very un-Grado-like deep bass too.

The PRO 750 has a smidge less highs, but similar mids/bass to 780.

Both a bit more comfy than Grados.

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #11 of 25
I understand the comfort aspect. And believe I know, because I got the most uncomfortable Grado there is-- sr325i. Well,.. yesterday I bought a pair or jumbo bowls (donuts) and they are very comfy. You might need to apply the Shack mod and bass mod (tape/glue) but they are sounding really good to my ears. Or if you wanna go all out, gs1000 is great and very comfortable too!!

Sep 27, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
definitely forget the DT880,compared to Grado They are just like Black and White.

I second that, my RS-1 sound very different from my DT-880. The main diffence is the RS-1 have more open and forward mids while the the DT-880 are laid back. RS-1 also sounds faster than DT-880.

From what I read SA-5000 may be something close. Perhaps Ultrasones too.

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyers are nothing like Grados. Grados' best\Beyers' worst atribute is midrange.

Midrange is not that bad on 250Ohm model, and evened out on 600Ohm, but that one cost an extra premium, well worth it though, as it bests AD2000, SA5000 and MS2i I used to own.
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back