Looking for something different
Jan 12, 2014 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

AnalogSavior

100+ Head-Fier
I love my HD598.  Great sounding with an impressive soundstage...in my opinion there really is nothing to dislike.  But the audiophile in me simply can't stop playing the "what if" game.  So lets play.

If I were looking for something a little warmer, and fuller while keeping highs at about the 598s level, what would you wonderful head-fiers suggest?  Priorities would be in female vocals and instrumental/orchestral music.  Everything else comes second.  I do like my mids slightly forward (ie no recessed mids please).

Just as a note, I am not looking to upgrade or replace my HD598s, I'm simply looking to try something a little different.

So please, make a suggestion.  Lets say I have budget of about $500, give or take.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 20
Hmm.. Maybe upgrade to hd600/650. Perhaps akg k712..

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 20
What is your source chain? What DAC/AMP?

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 20
Hmm.. Maybe upgrade to hd600/650. Perhaps akg k712...

I've considered the 600 and 650, just don't know how much a difference the 600 will be.  For sure the 650 will be a change.  Maybe too much so?  I actually don't know very much about the K712.  How is it relative to the K701?

What is your source chain? What DAC/AMP?

For the most part, its going to be my laptop to Schiit Magni/Modi stack.

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 20
K712 is more bassy and warm than k702

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 20
600/650 is fine upgrade, but if you really looking for something different I recommend to try out a stax. You could buy around 300 usd an sr 3/5 or sr-x 3 with an energizer (you also need a real amplifier, but if you dont have you could buy for around 100 usd a decent vintage one) and you get a very different, and arguably better sound than from your current or any mid-priced dynamic headphones. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 20
  600/650 is fine upgrade, but if you really looking for something different I recommend to try out a stax. You could buy around 300 usd an sr 3/5 or sr-x 3 with an energizer (you also need a real amplifier, but if you dont have you could buy for around 100 usd a decent vintage one) and you get a very different, and arguably better sound than from your current or any mid-priced dynamic headphones. 

+1, though I'd say better sound if you get one of the lambda offerings, but with the electrets.. It's more of a toss IMO. Still, vintage stax is great.

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 20
Wow, thanks for the great suggestions.  I will say, the idea of trying out a Stax hadn't occurred to  to me, and is probably the most exciting suggestion yet.  I know nothing about that world, so this could exactly what I'm looking for.

Never tried any planar headphones either, so I'll take a look into the HiFiMANs (both current and soon to be released).

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #11 of 20
I wonder how the Shure 1840 would work for this? There's also the HiFiMan HE400 for a bit less.

I liked the 1840's. They were possibly the most comfortable headphone I've ever tried, similar to putting a cloud on your head.

There were a couple things I didn't like, the first was definitely the bass. Now I'm not a basshead by any means, but there were pretty much nonexistent bass, on certain songs, you would wait for that bass impact you knew was there, and were utterly disappointed.

The other thing I didn't like were the non-swivel earcups. They fit my head pretty well, but I would have liked that functionality as it felt like it could have fit just a little bit better had it did.

That being said. They are GREAT for classical/orchestral music, instrument separation and imaging is very good. They also come with an extra paid of velours, an extra cable, and a very nice travel case.

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 20
  Wow, thanks for the great suggestions.  I will say, the idea of trying out a Stax hadn't occurred to  to me, and is probably the most exciting suggestion yet.  I know nothing about that world, so this could exactly what I'm looking for.

Never tried any planar headphones either, so I'll take a look into the HiFiMANs (both current and soon to be released).

Any lambda series earspeaker will do. I am not that much into the various electrets. You need a dedicated amplifier or adapter box (if you have a speaker amp) to drive them. The newer stuff ain't better than the old stuff btw. There are some risks with buying used 'stats and electrostats in general, mostly channel imbalance.

Jan 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 20
I may get a chance to hear a few Stax at an upcoming meet, so I can get a better feel for what I may be getting myself into.  Thanks for the info though, that was a great suggestion.

Going back to dynamics for a second, the Shure1840s seem like great headphones, but I feel like they will be tilted further towards analytical than towards warm, which is not what I'm looking for at the moment.  I bet the mids sound great on them though.

Then we have the much loved and hated HD650s.  They intrigue me in that many agree they are quite warm (or even dark), but also very detailed and extended on both ends.  Is there anything similar that isn't quite as...divisive?  I guess that would just be the HD600s huh?  And I fear those would be too similar.

Any other suggestions?

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #15 of 20
There is no headphone wihout divisive opinions. Lambda maybe a better option than sr-x 3, but also more expensive. But if you like natural timbre and sound most similar to real life music stax is the best option, especially if you are after music which is unamplified in real life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back