Looking for something different and new, a more fun sound
Sep 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Richardson0

New Head-Fier
I am new to these forums so hello first off :)

Around December time last year I bought myself a pair of DT150s, my first pair of mid-range headphones. They do the job well and I am happy with them, coming from the Creative Fatality headset prior to that.

Now, after owning these cans for 9-10 months now, I feel as if I have grown tired of the sound of them - I'm not sure if that is a harsh way to put it, but the DT150s, as far as I understand, are very 'accurate' and I find that they have a very standard sound, and that is the reason they are so commonly found in studios. The sound to me is very standard, but it's a very clean sound, very airy and balanced.

Either way, I am looking for a new pair of headphones, I am not a very big expert on any of this, so I turn to you guys to help me out :)

I am looking for a sound that is more bouncy, fun, bassy - and I really appreciate the build quality of Beyer so I was looking at either a pair of DT770s or DT990 pros. I play plenty of games, Battlefield, ARMA, TF2 and the likes. I listen to some alternative, electronic and industrial music.

I have an Asus Xonar DG sound card as well, if that is of any relevance. Perhaps investing in a new sound card would also do the trick?

Hopefully you guys can make some recommendations, or share your thoughts with me.

Cheers :)

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 12
I own both the 770s and 990s. I actually bought them for the same reason you're looking at them. I listen to a lot of tech-house, R&B, and electronic pop. I like bass. I leave the 770s at work because they provide a good amount of isolation which I need to stay sane. The 990s stay at home because they are open and leak some sound (in and out), but have a wider soundstage. I prefer a bit of bass boost, but I like them both a lot.

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for the replies.

If I had the choice between open and closed (770 and 990), what would you choose?

Dave, the only time my headphones get used is in my room on my own, so I'm guessing the 990s would be a better option?

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 12
Sep 7, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 12
  I'd take that offer up but unfortunately I live in the UK :frowning2:
DT990s are looking more appealing at the moment for sure.

The Xonar DG is a little under powered to drive 250-Ohm headphones like the DT990s.
About 150-Ohms is about the max that can really be used with the DG.
The PAV2V (Pocket Amplifier 2 Version 2) headphone amplifier, around $60 on eBay, could be plugged into the Xonar DG and the DT990 into the PAV2V.
The PAV2V comes with a volume knob, so you can control the volume at your finger tips.

The seller, grans-ar, ships from Canada.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/grans-ar

You could up your headphone budget as there are good headphones in the 30-Ohm to 40-Ohm range, so no need to buy an add-on amplifier.

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #11 of 12
Thanks for the replies so far. Looks like the 990s are a sure winner here.

Would it be wise to invest in a brand new soundcard or just an amp? Would an Asus D2/D2X power the 990s alone well enough?

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 12
  Thanks for the replies so far. Looks like the 990s are a sure winner here.

Would it be wise to invest in a brand new soundcard or just an amp? Would an Asus D2/D2X power the 990s alone well enough?

honestly... $50 get's you a Fiio E11 and that will work wonders for them! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back