Looking for something comparable to my Sennheiser HD580
Mar 14, 2014 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

roncri

New Head-Fier
In 2002 I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD580s on closeout from NewEgg for $131.  One of the best purchases I ever made.  I wear these headphones probably about 4-6 hours a day and just sent them of to get repaired by Sennheiser for a flat $150.  I'm getting a new office at work and need a set of headphone for there but unfortunately the HD580s have long been discontinued.  Here are the things I love about my 580s that I'm looking for in another set of headphones.

1. Must be Over-ear design.  I wear glasses and any other types of headphones I have issues with.  I've got a big head so large ear cups are not a problem.
2. Must use some type of fabric/velour/felt for the ear cups.  No vinyl/leather/faux-leather.  I've tried headphones using those materials for the cups and always end up with a lot of sweat where the material is touching my skin.
3. Must be an Open design, not closed.

If I had to change one thing, I wish my HD580s had a detachable cable.

I will be using a headphone amp.

Both the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 are on my list but I'm open to looking at others.  Say $400 max but would love something $250 or less.  Unfortunately I don't think I'll ever get a deal like my brand new HD580s for $131.

Thanks,
-Ron

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 7
HD600 doesn't differ substantially from HD580 (a little more treble roll off) and it has a detachable cable. You can usually find one on the FS board $250-300. You might even be able to find another HD580 using the "search this forum" function.

HD650, however, is considerably darker and more veiled. I never understood why it's more expensive but I'm not complaining. 
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 7
The HD580 does have detachable cables! The pair I owned did, anyway ...

The HD580 and the Hd600 share the same drivers, the only difference is that the HD600 has metal mesh screens on the rear of the earcups, which allow for slightly more airflow and thus a slightly more open sound.

You can actually buy the HD600 screens from sennheiser and fit them on your HD580, which will effectively give you a pair of HD600!

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 7
When I refer to a detachable cable, I mean the type that use a plug so it's compatible with something like the V-MODA BoomPro.

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 7
Just curious, what are you having repaired by Sennheiser?  What to you get for $150 when you send them in for repair?

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 7
The obvious answer is to just get another 580 or 600.  But then again, you'll have a repaired 580 in the near future.  So that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

How about a complimentary can?   I find the K701 to be a nice compliment to my HD650, when I want something brighter with better imaging (with my amps/source).  its a little brighter and arier sounding than the HD600.   The bassier quincy model might also be a good choice.

All these cans will work very well with your Pimeta.

You should also consider impedance and efficiency.  Your HD580 is 300 ohms and moderate sensitivity.  If your pimeta is set up for that, a high sensitivity can like the MA900 at 12 ohms might not be an optimal choice.

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 7
  Just curious, what are you having repaired by Sennheiser?  What to you get for $150 when you send them in for repair?

If you go on their site, they offer to repair the HD580 for a flat rate of $150.  From what I can tell, it doesn't matter what is wrong.  In my case, the sound for one side was cutting in/out.  I just got an email from them today and it looks like they replaced the cushions and the cable.  Tracking number says I should have them back on Friday.

The obvious answer is to just get another 580 or 600.  But then again, you'll have a repaired 580 in the near future.  So that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

How about a complimentary can?   I find the K701 to be a nice compliment to my HD650, when I want something brighter with better imaging (with my amps/source).  its a little brighter and arier sounding than the HD600.   The bassier quincy model might also be a good choice.

All these cans will work very well with your Pimeta.

You should also consider impedance and efficiency.  Your HD580 is 300 ohms and moderate sensitivity.  If your pimeta is set up for that, a high sensitivity can like the MA900 at 12 ohms might not be an optimal choice.

Thanks, I'll need to look at the AKGs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back