Looking for something closed this time
Mar 27, 2009 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Redmist

New Head-Fier
Well, I go back and fourth between my Mom's house and my Dad's, and I like to travel light, so I'm gona pick up a second set of headphones to keep at my Dad's house. The question is, what?

I currently have ATH-AD700s, and I was really tempted to just get a second pair since they're going for around $70 on Amazon now, but then I started thinking it might be better to try something closed this time.

A friend is trying to talk me into Ultrastone HFI-550s, but I don't think they look too comfortable. He also suggested Equation RP-21s, which I am seriously considering.

My budget is around $100 if you haven't already guessed from my choices. Are there any other contenders I should consider?

Mar 27, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 6
As someone who's owned both the AD700 and the HD555, I'd advise you to try something else; I sold my HD555 after I got my AD700. If you want to experiment with a cheap closed phone, the RX700 is a steal at $34. Personally, I'm considering the MDR-V6 next.

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 6
If it doesn't have to closed, you may want to consider sampling the Grado sound.
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it doesn't have to closed, you may want to consider sampling the Grado sound.
biggrin.gif

Now that I think about it, I do need closed. Edited my OP post.

I really love how open headphones sound...but at my Dad's I need closed to drown out the hammering of him building the pool house and his other random projects.
At my Mom's I need open because she expects me to hear her calling me from the other side of the house.
tongue_smile.gif

Any opinions on the RP-21s? Still seriously considering those.

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Closed phones, as a rule, don't isolate enough to drown out hammers, etc. The best isolation will come from IEMs.

I'm sure it would help more than my AD700s though. I'm not getting it specifically to drown out the hammering, I want headphones to keep there so I don't have to bring my AD700s back and fourth. A bit more isolation is just a bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back