Looking for something better than my total bithead
Feb 3, 2013 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DanB85

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

First, I apologize if this isn't the right area to post this question. If so, please tell me and I will delete it.

I have had a headroom total bithead for quite some time now and I've always thought that it worked well enough. More recently, I purchased beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80s and monster turbine pro coppers and I'm looking for something a little better. The bithead seems to have a lot of noticeable hiss regardless of the source i'm using it with. And beyond that, I'm not even sure I can hear any difference between the built in DACs in most of my devices (samsung galaxy nexus, google nexus 7 which is supposed to have awful audio) these days or my laptop's sound card and the bithead.

I don't need anything super-portable but transportable is what I'd like. I want to be able to use the amp/dac through USB audio out on my Nexus 7 when i'm lounging or with my laptop at a desk. Right now, I sometimes drag the bithead to work but like I said, I have my doubts if its really worth it.

I listen to bassy electronic music most of the time (dubstep, IDM, UK garage, etc). I am more concerned with amping the beyerdynamics but something that also helped the turbine IEMs would be nice. The only other thing I've looked at is the Fiio E17 but I'm not sure if its a step up

I'm hoping to spend less than 200 bucks. Any help or links are much appreciated. Thanks

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 6
I feel ya on the Bithead.  I recommend it because it is built like a tank and rarely has issues, but there are better options these days.

Take a look here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-11-10-amps-compared

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 6
Headroom did a lot to pave the way for the whole headphone movement.  Before there was an Ipod, Headroom was there in the trenches selling portable headphone amplifiers to a niche market that didn't even exist.  I remember seeing the ads of Tyll wearing his signature hawaiian shirt in stereophile and carrying what is now referred to as a "stack" powering some "meant to be home" headphones thinking "man that must sound incredible" and wanting to know where to get one.  I personally owned a Cosmic thinking that was the end of portable audio nirvana.  Times have changed though and while Headroom still produces some great gear, the market has brought forth some amazing gear.  I've never tried the bithead but apparently it's still a good entry level headphone amplifier and is backed up by one the best customer support companies around.   Read up on some reviews here and you will find many potential upgrades.  Your wallet will be the only restriction on where to go from here.   If your budgets 200, there's a few choices that you can make, if you can up it to 300 your choices will dramatically increase.  Just to help you a bit more, forward sounding amps tend to be preferred by those listening to mostly rock music and warmer amps tend to be liked more with those listening to mostly jazz or classical.  Not that either amp won't benefit you either way, but I think that's the general consensus.   Happy listening!

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Headroom did a lot to pave the way for the whole headphone movement.  Before there was an Ipod, Headroom was there in the trenches selling portable headphone amplifiers to a niche market that didn't even exist.  I remember seeing the ads of Tyll wearing his signature hawaiian shirt in stereophile and carrying what is now referred to as a "stack" powering some "meant to be home" headphones thinking "man that must sound incredible" and wanting to know where to get one.  I personally owned a Cosmic thinking that was the end of portable audio nirvana.  Times have changed though and while Headroom still produces some great gear, the market has brought forth some amazing gear.  I've never tried the bithead but apparently it's still a good entry level headphone amplifier and is backed up by one the best customer support companies around.   Read up on some reviews here and you will find many potential upgrades.  Your wallet will be the only restriction on where to go from here.   If your budgets 200, there's a few choices that you can make, if you can up it to 300 your choices will dramatically increase.  Just to help you a bit more, forward sounding amps tend to be preferred by those listening to mostly rock music and warmer amps tend to be liked more with those listening to mostly jazz or classical.  Not that either amp won't benefit you either way, but I think that's the general consensus.   Happy listening!

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I would think I need a 'warmer' amp based on your description. What do you think? I dislike the sound of my Grado headphones for electronic music because the sound is very bright and the bass sounds anemic. Head room has been very good to me when I call them and I have no complaints. My bithead is going on 6-7 years old and several moves without any issues.
Quote:
I feel ya on the Bithead.  I recommend it because it is built like a tank and rarely has issues, but there are better options these days.

Take a look here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-11-10-amps-compared

Thanks, I will do that!

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 6
So i've been trying to do my homework and I think I want the Leckerton UHA-4 slimline. Can anyone tell me if this is good for electronic music and my two main sets of headphones? My main full-size headphones are Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80-ohms and my IEMs are monster turbine copper pros.

Also, does leckerton have any re-sellers? They are sold out of this DAC/AMP on their website sadly!

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #6 of 6
I think one important issue is crossfeed. Are there any good Amp+DAC options with crossfeed comparable to HeadRoom's within a 200 dollar budget?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back