Looking for some TV speakers around 500$
Aug 1, 2014 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

villur

New Head-Fier
Im pretty clueless when it comes to big TV speaker systems so im in need of some suggestions/help
tongue.gif

Budget is around 400-500$

Im thinking 2.0 would be the most foolproof setup but any suggestion is welcome!

I currently have some really old ones, actually so old, that we shouldn't even talk about them, the only thing you need to know is that the media source would be an old powerbook laptop with a DVI connected to the TV and the 3.5mm jack between the amp and the laptop.

Cheers!

Aug 2, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the suggestion
I also found a pretty good deal from a local retail store
selling a H/K A/V receiver 3390 with JBL Studio 180's for a price of around 700$, might be able to stretch our budget a little if these are worth it. I checked the reviews and all of them said good things about the speakers.

Specification linkeys:

http://hometheaterreview.com/harman-kardon-hk-3390-stereo-receiver/
+
http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/products/Studio-180/STUDIO%20180_JBL_US

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #4 of 13
I have the 3390. It's a good receiver. Would be a good deal if you are getting it for $300 or less.

Google JBL 180 and Slickdeals, and you'll find that they frequently go on sale for $100 or less a piece at Newegg.

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 13
Im forced to use local retailers and since i live in Estonia we dont have newegg or anything similar.

What i also found was a similar deal for HK3770 and JBL ES80s, its only a little more expensive, but might be a whole lot better, no? :p

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #6 of 13
The HK 3770 should be a step up from the 3390, with a built in dac that takes optical or coaxial input, as well as bluetooth. It also is rated for more power. And other features the 3390 does not. The only advantage the 3390 would have is that it has analog outputs and a pre-in/main out. If you don't currently know what you would do with those (have no use), then go for the 3770 :)

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 13
I actually have no idea, its just that I belive the ES80-s are a little better, and they come as a bundle deal, 3390 + studio 180s and 3770 + ES80s
The built in DAC would be very helpful since im going to be using an old laptop for movies, who knows what soundcard it has :D, a DAC is kind of like a built-in soundcard, no? And it plugs via USB im pretty sure?

Can you explain what the differences are in terms of hooking my laptop to either receiver?

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 13
Yes. The built in DAC will take the digital signal from the laptop and convert it to analog for use by the amp. And yes. It should definitely be better than the laptop headphone out jack. With the 3390, you would have to connect your laptop via the headphone jack. However, you need to see if your laptop has optical out. If not, it might have HDMI out, in which case an audio/video receiver would be better unless you want to buy a separate external DAC.

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 13
Yes. The built in DAC will take the digital signal from the laptop and convert it to analog for use by the amp. And yes. It should definitely be better than the laptop headphone out jack. With the 3390, you would have to connect your laptop via the headphone jack. However, you need to see if your laptop has optical out. If not, it might have HDMI out, in which case an audio/video receiver would be better unless you want to buy a separate external DAC.

Im not sure how an optical out port looks like and google isn't being very helpful, its an old 2007 MacBook Pro. Shouldn't i be able to hook it via usb? It doesn't have HDMI, atm we've been using DVI + 3.5mm jack for playing movies from the laptop

EDIT: Checking specs it says "Combined optical digital input/audio line in, combined optical digital output/headphone out, stereo speakers, microphone"

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #10 of 13
Yep. Sounds like it has that mini optical cable. I think this is what you want, but I am not a mac person: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/mac-mini-question-16387/#post232933

Aug 2, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 13
Yep. Sounds like it has that mini optical cable. I think this is what you want, but I am not a mac person: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/mac-mini-question-16387/#post232933

Okay thanks, so thats def one option and that mini optical cable + dvi to the TV would work just fine?
I didn't really tell the whole story, but sometimes when my parents are lazy they use their personal laptop and use an HDMI to TV. Would using an HDMI then make things more complicated? Also how can i have it hooked to the TV and then just switch between different HDMI sources, for example our cable box and the newer laptop then? And then sometimes use the older laptop with the mini optical cable?? Im really inexperienced with receivers and basically don't even know how the things will start working. Im just reading through my TVs and 3770s user manuals to see if some connections match up :D but things might be a lot different. Are they tho?

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 13
Might be easier to just get an audio video receiver. Then anything and everything can plug into it. That's what AVRs are designed for, right? :)

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #13 of 13
I don't think i need an AVR, audio will do fine too :p, i figured out what cables i need
Would i need a subwoofer with the ES80's tho? I read that the reviews said that bass was really good on them, but a few are suggesting a subwoofer. Not really sure how much do i need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back