Looking for some suggestions on a Setup
Oct 27, 2014 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ThKelly

New Head-Fier
Hello, so I come here after doing a couple weeks of research on headphones/amps/dacs and deciding I sort of need help picking out what I might want to get.  I have set a budget of around $400 or so.  So I guess I will start off with a little info and what I am going to be listening to.  I do a lot of gaming and music listening, about...40/60 respectively.  I listen to a wide variety of music, but mostly I guess rock and metal.  However classical, pop, rap, and electronic are within my library as well.  I am not really sure what sort of sound I am looking for but I know I want an open back pair(probably?).  Right now I listen to everything through a pair of Logitech G730's and they are okay I guess considering I don't have anything to compare them to but I know I want better.

I have looked into DT880's, DT990's, HE-300/400's, HD598's, Brainwavz HM5(and others I guess)...but its sort of overwhelming to read/watch reviews and not really seem to come away with a good consensus?  I have been leaning toward the hifimans because I just aesthetically like them a lot and have a friend who owns the HE-400's and sings their praises all the time(I can't listen to them because he lives out of state).  Have any of you who have listened to them both think the 400's are worth the extra $100?  

As far as amp's and dacs I have been looking into shiit audio items as well as the 02 and odac.  Though the latter is out of my price range with a pair of good cans.

So I guess the short what would yall recommend to get for $400 to listen to rock/metal and play games on?

Also to add on I will probably be looking into the used market.  

Oct 27, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 2
Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet.

You're going to hear a lot of different opinions because headphones have a lot of differences, and people have a lot of opinions/preferences.

Now, I have also heard a lot of great things about the HE-400, but keep in mind that these headphones have planar magnetic (or orthodynamic) drivers. These types of drivers tend to offer a lot more speed (and a generally "different" quality), but they're also less efficient than many dynamic models, which means that they benefit a lot from an amplifier with strong output power (current-based). Also, these drivers are (generally) heavier, which could make comfort a little more difficult.

As far as amps are concerned, I think the Schiit Magni should be an all around good choice as long as you don't pick headphones with really high impedance (>100 Ohms high). High impedance cans tend to mesh better with tube OTL amplifiers (because those amps tend to have higher voltage outputs). Even still, Magni shouldn't sound "bad" with most high impedance cans.

Anyway...the HE-400 + Magni should be on the short list. You can get an open box HE-400 for $240 from Razordog, and Magni is $99 direct from Schiit. I'll let other people comment, but I doubt you would be disappointed by this setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back