Looking for some recommendations...
Nov 18, 2011 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

drgnfrc13

100+ Head-Fier
I'm hoping this is the correct forum in which to post this, but as the title states, I need some reccomendations on which set of headphones to get. This will be my first real pair of headphones (unless you count the old crappy on-ear ones that used to come with cheap portable CD players), so my budget is going to be about $100, and I'd prefer to be able to get them locally, although if it's really worth it, I can order them online if I have to.

So, the other criteria I'd like them to meet:
-Good sound quality at high volumes (I like to listen to my music loud enough to hear every instrument/sound clearly)
-Durable and comfortable, since I will be using them daily.
-Capable of producing a wide range of sounds (not sure how much of an issue this is with higher quality headphones, but I do know that when I listen to songs like Ruffneck by Skrillex, my Sony DR EX 12iP in-ear earphones seem to sound a bit distorted on the extreme highs and lows, and it makes me wonder if there are notes that they're just missing altogether)
-Sound canceling/isolating. It doesn't need to be perfect in this respect, but I would like them to at least seal in enough noise to avoid disturbing other people nearby.

I'm not sure whether or not it makes a difference, but I listen to a wide variety of music, including everything from dubstep, to rock, metal, folk, indie, alternative, classical, pop, and even some rap. Pretty much the only genres I don't listen to at all are country and screamo, so I guess the headphones need to be good for everything else. Oh and I play a digital piano (Yamaha YPG-635), so I'll be using them for that on occasion, as well.

So far, the headphones that have caught my eye have been the Sony XB series; would these be good for me, and if so, which model would you recommend -- if not, then what would be better? From what I've read, it seems that all of the XB's generally have good reviews, but some people say the XB300 is uncomfortable/falls short in sound quality. And I've also noticed that a lot of people refer to the XB500's bass as "punchy..." is that a good thing? lol

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 6
XB500 is a basshead's dream, mids and highs are mediocre pretty much.

Shure 440 is a much more balanced can for the money, unless of course bass matters
to you over everything else.

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 6
I don't need super-loud bass or anything like that, I'd just like to be able to at least hear all the bass notes.Balanced sounds good to me, I'll look those up.

Nov 18, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
I'm hoping this is the correct forum in which to post this, but as the title states, I need some reccomendations on which set of headphones to get. This will be my first real pair of headphones (unless you count the old crappy on-ear ones that used to come with cheap portable CD players), so my budget is going to be about $100, and I'd prefer to be able to get them locally, although if it's really worth it, I can order them online if I have to.
So, the other criteria I'd like them to meet:
-Good sound quality at high volumes (I like to listen to my music loud enough to hear every instrument/sound clearly)
-Durable and comfortable, since I will be using them daily.
-Capable of producing a wide range of sounds (not sure how much of an issue this is with higher quality headphones, but I do know that when I listen to songs like Ruffneck by Skrillex, my Sony DR EX 12iP in-ear earphones seem to sound a bit distorted on the extreme highs and lows, and it makes me wonder if there are notes that they're just missing altogether)
-Sound canceling/isolating. It doesn't need to be perfect in this respect, but I would like them to at least seal in enough noise to avoid disturbing other people nearby.
I'm not sure whether or not it makes a difference, but I listen to a wide variety of music, including everything from dubstep, to rock, metal, folk, indie, alternative, classical, pop, and even some rap. Pretty much the only genres I don't listen to at all are country and screamo, so I guess the headphones need to be good for everything else. Oh and I play a digital piano (Yamaha YPG-635), so I'll be using them for that on occasion, as well.
So far, the headphones that have caught my eye have been the Sony XB series; would these be good for me, and if so, which model would you recommend -- if not, then what would be better? From what I've read, it seems that all of the XB's generally have good reviews, but some people say the XB300 is uncomfortable/falls short in sound quality. And I've also noticed that a lot of people refer to the XB500's bass as "punchy..." is that a good thing? lol

So, you want $200 headphones for $100, cool.

CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) are about the closest thing I can think of.

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 6
Well I want good quality, I'm just not sure I'd feel right spending hundreds of dollars on a single pair of headphones...

Nov 19, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 6
I think I'll go with the SRH440's, they seem more durable than the CAL's. Thanks guys. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back