Looking for some recommendations
May 12, 2010 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

shubhangam

100+ Head-Fier
I am at a phase in which my musical tastes are changing rapidly... I am listening mostly to stuff which I completely ignored earlier...

I'm currently enjoying-

Meddle - Pink Floyd
Obscured by Clouds - Pink Floyd
Zabriskie Point - Pink Floyd
Brandenburg Concertos - Bach
The Four Seasons - Vivaldi
Hungarian Rhapsodies - Franz Liszt
Mahler's 5th
Symphony 4 (Italian) - Mendelssohn
FOABP - Porcupine Tree
Nine Cats, Radioactive Toy - Porcupine Tree
Sky Moves Sideways - Porcupine Tree
Within You Without You - Beatles
Yesterday - Beatles
The Joshua Tree - U2
What's the story Morning Glory (album) - Oasis

So based on this I would like to request you to suggest some albums that I may like.

Looking forward to your recommendations,
Shubhangam

May 12, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 16
Big PT fan here, so I may be a little biased. Nonetheless, here goes.

*Note : I am taking these straight from my iTunes library.

Amplifier - Amplifier / Insider

Anathema - All albums are great

Battles - A little obscure and different, but if you enjoy psychedelic rock, you probably have an open mind.

Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory / Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence / Images & Words

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi battles the pink robots / Embryonic / At War With the Machines 

Harmonium - Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinqième Saison

King Crimson - Any album

Marillion - Misplaced Childhood

The Mars Volta - All albums

Muse - All albums

Opeth - All albums (Progressive Death Metal, so beware it is very heavy. Porcupine Tree have worked with Opeth in the past.)

Pain of Salvation

The Pineapple Thief - What We Have Sown / Tightly Unwound

Porcupine Tree - the rest of the discography.

Radiohead - All albums

Riverside - Second Life Syndrome (my fav album by them, others are great as well)

Rush - EVERYTHING!

Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun (one of my favourite albums) 

Steven Wilson - Insurgentes

Tool - Lateralus / 10,000 Days / Aenima

Just a sample of some prog and prog related music out there. These are what I think would interest you from what I have heard. Some of it is more mainstream and some really obscure. 

I'd say start with Tool, Rush, Sigur Ros, Pineapple Thief and maybe Dream Theater.

Another great thing to do is check out side projects from members of a band you like. Every member of PT has a side project!

Also, check the iTunes store and see what other's have bought when searching an album you enjoy. Tons of great stuff out there.

Lastly, try some internet music streaming sites. I only know Last.fm, because it is the only one available in Canada, but in the USA, there are plenty more.

Hope this helps!

Happy listening,
Sim

May 12, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks for the suggestions, your suggestions I see in 2 categories mostly, half I already have and enjoy (not top of the list though) and the rest I've tried to get into but find way too HEAVY.. I don't know why, but I cannot tolerate the heavy metal stuff at all, it gives me a headache :frowning2: (though I love Black Rose Immortal - Opeth)

Amplifier - Amplifier / Insider - will check it out

Anathema - All albums are great - I have listened to them before but found it too heavy?

Battles - A little obscure and different, but if you enjoy psychedelic rock, you probably have an open mind. - Will check them out

Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory / Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence / Images & Words - Have these -  I prefer ACOS and Octavarium (the songs) by DT

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi battles the pink robots / Embryonic / At War With the Machines - Will check them out

Harmonium - Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinqième Saison - Will check them out

King Crimson - Any album - Will check them out

Marillion - Misplaced Childhood - Will check them out

The Mars Volta - All albums - Will check them out

Muse - All albums -  Love them a lot :) just not as much as before.. were my favorite earlier

Opeth - All albums (Progressive Death Metal, so beware it is very heavy. Porcupine Tree have worked with Opeth in the past.) - Again  too heavy as you say, I do love selective songs though

Pain of Salvation - Will check them out

The Pineapple Thief - What We Have Sown / Tightly Unwound - Will check them out

Porcupine Tree - the rest of the discography. - Currently checking out

Radiohead - All albums - Again, love them and they were top of the list for me.. just not anymore

Riverside - Second Life Syndrome (my fav album by them, others are great as well) - I find it too heavy

Rush - EVERYTHING! - Will check them out

Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun (one of my favourite albums) - Ah yes I love Sigur Ros, just dont listen to them that much

Steven Wilson - Insurgentes - Will check them out

Tool - Lateralus / 10,000 Days / Aenima - Found it too heavy again? hmm..

>>
Basically I just can't get into the heavy, more metallish stuff.. it sounds good but it gives me an headache in less than a minute and then it has to go :wink:
Battles sounds right up my alley though, will check them out now!

Again, thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming :)

May 13, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 16
I recommend 'Dragons of Eden'.  Can be bought at www.tdrsmusic.com

Quite a bit of a different vibe to 'Electric Tears' but every bit as good.  Travis Dickerson is on keys, Brain is on the drums and there's a bit of Cello thrown in as well.  Buckethead is on electric and bass guitar.  Makes for an engaging listening experience.  
smile_phones.gif

Quote:
I have electric tears and like to an extent. What should I branch out to?

May 13, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 16
Glad to hear.

Youtube doesn't do it justice in the sound quality department though.  It might be available as a digital download on tdrs or maybe even itunes.  If not, get the CD.

I didn't know there were any Buckethead listeners in India.  Very cool.

May 13, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #9 of 16
Okay I will check it out.. My music tastes are very crazy for my place - most of my friends listen to the latest hiphop and trance and I just hate it :wink:

May 13, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #13 of 16
Here are some bands/albums you should checkout

Dredg - El Cielo, Pariah Parrot Patriot
Elliot Smith - Figure 8, XO
Chris Isaak - Heart Shaped World
Roger Waters - Amused to Death
Derek Trucks Band - Songlines
Blackfield - Blackfield/ II
Cowboy Junkies - Lay it Down, Whites off earth now, Trinity Session (just throwing this one out there cos I think you might like it)
Genesis - Selling England, Lamb lies (to start with)
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down, Great Cold Distance (sligthly heavier in nature, but very melodic, same vein as clean vocal parts in Opeth songs)
Sonny Landreth - Grant Street
Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live

Seemingly random collection there, but I have a feeling you might like atleast some of them.

EDIT: Oh and for Classical, get yourself some Dvorak and Thcaikovsky

May 14, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
I recommend Alphataurus' self titled album. It's in italian but whatever, it's great music regardless.

I will check it out, Thanks!

Quote:
King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King is an absolute must!

I am procuring this right now - have heard a lot about King Crimson!

Quote:
Here are some bands/albums you should checkout

Dredg - El Cielo, Pariah Parrot Patriot
Elliot Smith - Figure 8, XO
Chris Isaak - Heart Shaped World
Roger Waters - Amused to Death
Derek Trucks Band - Songlines
Blackfield - Blackfield/ II
Cowboy Junkies - Lay it Down, Whites off earth now, Trinity Session (just throwing this one out there cos I think you might like it)
Genesis - Selling England, Lamb lies (to start with)
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down, Great Cold Distance (sligthly heavier in nature, but very melodic, same vein as clean vocal parts in Opeth songs)
Sonny Landreth - Grant Street
Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live

Seemingly random collection there, but I have a feeling you might like atleast some of them.

EDIT: Oh and for Classical, get yourself some Dvorak and Thcaikovsky

Hmm lots of suggestions there :) I was looking into Cowboy Junkies and it sounds good.

What would you suggest for Dvorak and Tchaikovsky? There is a ton of material out there.

Just to point this out, I am looking for less of the alternative stuff and drifting more towards classical, psychadelic(sp?) (like Meddle) and more soft-ish music - I would say less on the Heavy guitars and stuff.

Again, Thanks for taking the time to lay down the suggestion - much appreciated. Keep them coming :)

oh and I just remembered - I also love Yesterday, Within You Without You - Beatles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back