looking for some reccomendations
Oct 21, 2007 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MattyS54

New Head-Fier
hey people. nice to be here. i just started reading around headphones properly the other night and was quite surprised at the sheer amount of information on different models etc and enthusiasts that are out there. reason being i'm a big audio enthusiast (future audiophile when i have a lot of $$$) and well into my music and generally high quality audio.

i'm posting here in the hope of some reccomendations based on what i'd like to use a pair of phones for. there is so much information out there on the different models that i thought if i put down exactly what i'd be using them for then people may have some more relevant opinions for me.

i currently have a cheapy pair of sony v300's (they pack a punch for the size on low end) and some retro looking panasonics i acquired more recently which give much better quality sound and a wider response. however i realise they are both fairly low-end sets. i listen to music and generally use headphones a hell of a lot, so i thought why not invest in a high-end pair. by high-end i want to go pretty damn high, just not ultra ultra expensive.

the main thing i'll be using them for is primarily music playback from my pc. its an x-fi platinum (i'm know creative is probably gonna be under fire on a forum like this) but for a consumer card its pretty nice and has plenty of connectivity. i know a headphone amp is reccomended for a lot of these high-end headphones but i would think my headphone socket on the front panel would be pretty decent atleast considering its a gold hi-fi sized socket and can pump up my current headphones way louder than i'd ever want to go.

so anyway, i've done a whole lot of reading and i think i've narrowed it down somewhat. the kind of music i listen to is mostly funk, r&b and hip-hop and its really important to have the best possible bass performance in volume, clarity and response - all the way down to ultra low levels (am used to pumping a lot of stuff through an expensive subwoofer in my car). at the same time i'm expecting all of these high end sets to deliver through the full spectrum of sound and give a great listening experience. harsher/scratchy sounding treble is a massive no-no as well - mid and high end has to be super smooth/dynamic and comfortable for listening for long periods of time.

based on my own requirements the models that i reckon would be most suited to my requirements would be something like the beyer dt-990 or dt-770 (not sure if the pro and newer versions would be dramatically different). there was another model mentioned on this forum ending in 750 (not sure about manufacturer) that was supposed to have rocking bass and then obviously the sennheiser hd-650 seems to get a lot of praise too. however they dont seem to have much feedback in terms of powerful bass performance, its their supreme fidelity that comes up again and again...

so, based on all of that what would any of you experts say? any advice would be highly appreciated and i do understand this is highly subjective stuff. i just want to make the best possible purchase as i probably won't be able to try any sets out in advance.

matt.

Oct 22, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 2
sorry but had to bump! need some opinions here if possible. add to my list of considerations the denon d2000 - seem to cover a lot of my criteria. also as they will be used without a headphone amp the best performing set without that amount of drive would be a big factor too. im thinking its out of one of the variants of the dt 770 and dt 990 or the d2000....

peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back