Looking for some quality headphones
May 9, 2006 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Citat3962

New Head-Fier
Hello guys!

I've been lurking reading threads for a few days now and I've got a question.

I primarily listen to music and play Computer games on my PC using a Creative Audigy 1 Platinum Sound Card and some decent Sony head phones that pinch my head til my ears feel like they might bleed..

Seriously though, I've had these same cheapo Dell 5.1 Speakers hooked to my PC and even though they lack bass definitioin or even a hint of style...

They remain because I live in an apartment and my girlfriend looks like this
basshead.gif
when I play my music or play games with the volume at a "reasonable level"

for me anyway..

So that brings me to my headphone questions.

I must have some quality headphones for my music and games. I play mostly first person shooters with a lot of explosions and gunfire so Bass and mid range are essential...

That said I listen to technical Drum and Bass and Downtempo primarily (though I occassionally dabble in Jungle and the harder stuff) so accuracy is important. I'd hate to get some cans with good bass response but muddy mids and highs.

From reading everything and evaluating my budget constraints I have a few top contenders.

Grado - SR80 or SR125 - I'm leaning towards the 80s just because of the price I'm no audiophile so I'm fairly certain the 80s will be good starter cans for me to upgrade later

Allesandro - MS1 - These seem like an awesome value But cost a little more than the SR80s. I've heard these are modified Grado SR125s at 50$ less..... i'm not sure how they could offer a superior like product for cheaper without using lesser components or something! At the moment even though they seem like a superior value I'm skeptical.

Something else in my price range of 150$ and under?

Criteria:

I'm looking for some decent entry level cans at or under 150$ (preferably under)
I like the look of Grados but I'm not sold just on the looks.
Must have good Bass and Mid without muddy highs..

Any input guys?

I've got a line on a set of Grado SR80s used from the for sale section here for 75$ so I can save a little over their list price, they're 3 months old with some new pads.

I like saving money but nothing beats the satisfaction of worth every penny..
580smile.gif

May 9, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 22
Grados are known to have bad soundstages, which may be important in gaming. I've heard the Audio Technica A500s (or A900, if you're willing to go up in price) are great gaming cans.

May 9, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 22
I'm in basically the same situation, no g/f though
frown.gif
. Anyway, I'm been reading through the forums and saw a great deal of recommendations for the Audio Technica ATH-A500, A700, A900 line for gaming, some people said not so much for music, but meh, I won't notice...I'm no audiophile.

I think I'm going to get the ATH-A700 . I can get them for about $125.

May 9, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 22
I guess I don't really understand what Soundstage means....

and how it would effect gaming.

How I understood it from my limited reading was the distance you sense from the source of the music. Grados sound like you are in the band as opposed to 4th row center.

It applies to the music in my mind but doesn't really translate to gaming where EAX will effect the Directional or location effect of the different sounds..

Would the effect be close sounds sound closer or would it make it more difficult to decern? My appologies I'm sure most of you guys don't play games so this might not be something you know..

I'll research those model you guys mentioned and get back..

Does anyone know what criteria to look for in good gaming headphones?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 22
Those ATH700s look cool!

They definately have some style..

And they look comfy too, Something I really am starting to consider after those Sony's that probably fit kiddos but not my big melon and elephant ears.

Holy Horse Hockey though.... MSRP is 300 smackers!

I believe the in store price of 125 and if I can find them at that it's a reasonable price.

OK... so the ATH700's are official contenders.
eggosmile.gif

May 9, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Wolf
Damn you, I had my mind set on the A700. HD580 is more $$, but not by much. Comp-U-Plus

But I think I'll stick to my guns...A700 and don't look back.

EDIT: I can't find the specs for the HD580, not even on sennheiserusa.com

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...transid=004195

It's just that if you live in the US, you'll get better "bang for buck" buying Grados/Sennheisers
They're relatively cheap here

The HD580s are *very* close to the HD650s
95% of the HD650s? I have a hard time telling them apart blind on non-bass heavy songs.

May 9, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #12 of 22
A700s are good cans and are just barely worse then the A900s. Most people will tell you the difference between the two is really just their price.

May 9, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #13 of 22
It is my understanding that the A700 is not the same gaming can as the A500 and A900. The A900 is the one that is great for gaming, and that A500 is the poor mans A900. The A700 has a different sound signature from what I hear. You may also want to consider a DT770/32. The HD555/HD595 would also be great.

May 10, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Citat3962
Hello guys!

I've been lurking reading threads for a few days now and I've got a question.

I primarily listen to music and play Computer games on my PC using a Creative Audigy 1 Platinum Sound Card and some decent Sony head phones that pinch my head til my ears feel like they might bleed..

Seriously though, I've had these same cheapo Dell 5.1 Speakers hooked to my PC and even though they lack bass definitioin or even a hint of style...

They remain because I live in an apartment and my girlfriend looks like this
basshead.gif
when I play my music or play games with the volume at a "reasonable level"

for me anyway..

So that brings me to my headphone questions.

I must have some quality headphones for my music and games. I play mostly first person shooters with a lot of explosions and gunfire so Bass and mid range are essential...

That said I listen to technical Drum and Bass and Downtempo primarily (though I occassionally dabble in Jungle and the harder stuff) so accuracy is important. I'd hate to get some cans with good bass response but muddy mids and highs.

From reading everything and evaluating my budget constraints I have a few top contenders.

Grado - SR80 or SR125 - I'm leaning towards the 80s just because of the price I'm no audiophile so I'm fairly certain the 80s will be good starter cans for me to upgrade later

Allesandro - MS1 - These seem like an awesome value But cost a little more than the SR80s. I've heard these are modified Grado SR125s at 50$ less..... i'm not sure how they could offer a superior like product for cheaper without using lesser components or something! At the moment even though they seem like a superior value I'm skeptical.

Something else in my price range of 150$ and under?

Criteria:

I'm looking for some decent entry level cans at or under 150$ (preferably under)
I like the look of Grados but I'm not sold just on the looks.
Must have good Bass and Mid without muddy highs..

Any input guys?

I've got a line on a set of Grado SR80s used from the for sale section here for 75$ so I can save a little over their list price, they're 3 months old with some new pads.

I like saving money but nothing beats the satisfaction of worth every penny..
580smile.gif

Just a quick blurb about Alessandro MS-1.

They share most of the same components as the SR-125 but are tuned To Alessandros' specifications to be more neutral and analytical then the brighter and more "fun" Grado versions.

Part of the reason for the reduced cost is the cheaper set of the SR-60 comfy pads vs. the SR-125s more expensive "bowls" on the MS-1, and the lack of the ID button on the screen.

...........and maybe, just simply being priced below that magic hundred buck mark!

May 10, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Citat3962
I guess I don't really understand what Soundstage means....

and how it would effect gaming.

How I understood it from my limited reading was the distance you sense from the source of the music. Grados sound like you are in the band as opposed to 4th row center.

It applies to the music in my mind but doesn't really translate to gaming where EAX will effect the Directional or location effect of the different sounds..

Would the effect be close sounds sound closer or would it make it more difficult to decern? My appologies I'm sure most of you guys don't play games so this might not be something you know..

I'll research those model you guys mentioned and get back..

Does anyone know what criteria to look for in good gaming headphones?
smily_headphones1.gif

Soundstage is useful in first person games, especially first person shooters. With a good soundstage, you'll be able to hear where people around you are, with both the direction and distance. But with a bad soundstage, you'll just get confused. If you don't plan on playing first person games, then I guess it doesn't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back