Looking for some portable, versatile, closed phones. $80-$150
Oct 27, 2009 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Crohbar

New Head-Fier
Hi, as the thread title says, I'm looking for some closed headphones for general use. I'll mostly be driving them from an iPod while commuting, but also using them at home straight from my computer, also mostly for music but occasionally movies or games.

I listen to lots of different genres, but I'd like them to perform best with my electronic music if it comes down to it (Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, u-ziq, Boards of Canada, Venetian Snares etc.). I also listen to a bit of rock, some blues, a bit of pop-classical, and a few more embarassing genres, but the above is most important to me.

I've had a dig and initially the Sony MDR V6s looked good, but it seems there are extremely divided opinions over those (especially regarding the bass, which I would like to be good). The Audio Technica ATH-AD500s (I think these are them, they seem to be referred to as just a500 here) seem good too but I'd like a few more specific opinions.

Price range is as stated (technically it's £50-£100 since I'm in the UK), though I'd prefer to keep near the bottom of that range, not so much due to budget concerns but just because these'll be my first "good" headphones, so I don't see much point blowing a huge amount.

So, in brief again, closed headphones, which perform well with electronic music, but are also versatile and have good bass, work well from an iPod, and are under $150, would be ideal.

Thanks!

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 5
AD500 is an open back phone the A500 will be closed back. If you want bass the A500/700 will be good choices. Bang for the buck while it's a little out of your price range the new Shure 440 might be right up your alley, they can be had for about $70-80 I believe.

Oct 27, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD500 is an open back phone the A500 will be closed back. If you want bass the A500/700 will be good choices. Bang for the buck while it's a little out of your price range the new Shure 440 might be right up your alley, they can be had for about $70-80 I believe.

So they are! I was only looking on Amazon.co.uk for the moment, and the AD500s were all that came up when I searched for the A500s.

There's a list of places to buy on the left, but the only UK one seems to be hifiheadphones.co.uk and their prices and range only seem to be about as good as Amazon's (though they at least actually have the A500s). Can anybody make any other recommendations for where to buy or should I just see what I can find on Google products, ebay and here?
My first port of call for pricing was this thread but it seems, as usual, stuff is way more expensive for us Brits.
frown.gif
The a500s are listed as $98 (about £60) in jgonino's thread, but hifiheadphones has them for £110! Even the cheapest results on Google are at least £70 (without shipping). Oh well. I guess I'll have to fish a bit.

The Shures DO seem good, though! I'll keep those in mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome.

FWIR, I suggest considering the M-Audio Q40.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, check out the AT ATH-M50s- they work very well unamped and should fit your budget.

Thanks for both of these recs, I had another search and the Q40s seem to come out on top, though.

[EDIT] Well, a quick search reveals that iheadphones.co.uk has the shures for just over £60, whereas I can't find the Q40s or the a500s for anything less than £80. They all seem comparable in terms of quality so I'm very tempted to just jump at that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back