Looking for some portable headphones..
Jun 30, 2013 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

pro1137

500+ Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi. 

I'm looking for some to-go portables that I can use pretty conveniently on an iPhone and an iPod, that I can toss around without worry. I 've a pair of Philips Downtown, but they're way too mid-centric for me. They sound artificial even. Not enough bass either.

I'm looking for something warmer, a bit bass-heavy. I like my mids to be accurate, but a slight recession is alright. I like treble around neutral levels, but slightly laid back to slightly sparkly is fine as well. Must be closed-back.

I listen to just about everything, however I find myself listening to calmer electronic music, jazz, and alternative rock the most.

My budget CAN go up to $200, but I would highly prefer to pay much less than that. I'm kinda looking in the under $50 range, but if there's something that would suit me a lot better that's above the price, I'd consider it for sure.

I am willing to use sites like Focalprice, DX, etc, if need be.

I've been looking at..

Philips/O'Neil 'The Stretch' (There's a used pair on eBay for $20)
Philips SHL9705A
Philips Citiscape Metro
(enough with the Philips..)
Klipsch Image ONE (There's a used pair on eBay for $30. Fake maybe? I don't know)
House of Marley Exodus (Not sure if this has my wanted signature or not)

What do you think?

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 12
I like the sound from my JVC- HA-S500-Z folding headphones, cost me $76, on eBay.

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 12
I can't speak much on cheaper headphones. Exactly how much bass are you thinking? Ultrasones are known to have lots of bass and overall great sound quality. The highs are hit or miss. Some people love 'em, others... not so much. I just switched to the K550s as my portable and love them. Good isolation and work well out of an iPod (cable is a little long though). They aren't bass centric but they aren't lacking. I find them very enjoyable for electronic and jazz (especially female vocals).

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
I completely forgot about those. I only see them being sold from Japan. Is that okay? Are they genuine JVC?

How do they sound?

Took 7 days for my HA-S500 to ship from Japan.
I would think ordering from Japan is fine, it's ordering from China that seems to be risky.

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 12
I agree with andaca, you might want to look into the Sennheiser HD439. Best Buy was selling them for less than $50 recently, if you live near one you might want to check to see if they have these in stock.

The HD439s are closed back headphones, come with two detachable cables (one long cable and a shorter one for portable devices) and have nice cloth-padding around the ear pads.  They're not super bass heavy, but after burn-in the bass gets a bit fuller, mids and treble are smooth and even. Very nice sounding headphones for the money, I've heard them described as "baby HD600s".

Easily modded to enhance the bass too -- look around here for the mod thread.

Jun 30, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 12
The HD439 seems interesting yeah.

I'm somewhat deterred from the HA-S500 just by the way it looks- kinda bulky and cheap.

I actually find myself gravitating towards something like the V-Moda M80 or DT1350- both used on eBay.
How would those fare for my wanted signature?

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #12 of 12
I think I'm probably going to go with the HA-S500

But I think I'll want to upgrade the pads, as they look like they'd beget hot kinda fast.

HD25 pads fit, right? What about the velour ones? How much do they (both) alter the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back