Looking for some opinions
Jan 21, 2010 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Weez

Head-Fier
I’ve lately been getting…you guessed it, an upgrade crave. I’m interested in upgrading my source for my PC set-up. My current system is set-up like this: ESI Juli@ (Analog output) --> ARAGON Ground Loop Isolator --> QED Performance Audio 1 cable (Analog) --> Herman Kardon HK980 -–> B&W CM1 and a Velodyne MiniVee SPL-800i subwoofer.

I’m primarily looking for good soundcard with excellent analog outputs (that obviously are better than ESI Juli@'s outputs) for around let say 400$. It seems like Asus Xonar Essence ST is well regarded here, I’m sure it sounds very good through its headphone output but how is its RCA output?

I’m sure someone will suggest an external DAC instead of a soundcard and I’ve been thinking about that too. But I really would like to have 24-bit/192kHz out of my computer (which isn't possible through USB). I guess an USB to S/PDIF converter connected to a DAC could solve that. Are there any good converters out there? Regarding the DAC, I want something that sounds good through my speakers as well as through my Grado RS1, maybe a DAC from Stello or Mhdt Laboratory? For a DAC I’m willing to pay a little more I suppose.

I would appreciate any opinions and guidelines to get me started : )

Jan 21, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 4
My current plan

Laptop's built in optical out --> DACMAGIC --> XLR --> Amp --> Headphones/Speakers

I know the Cambridge DACMAGIC upscales everything to 24/192, and will accept signals up to 24/96 (Not over USB, over optical.). And I think the minimalistic Musical Fidelity VDAC does the same. But the DACMAGIC has balanced XLR outs, and the VDAC just has RCA.

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 4
24/192 is possible through USB.

m2tech and err. other company (i forgot its name) can do 24/192 just fine.

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 4
I looked into Cambridge DacMagic awhile ago but for some reason it put me off. I guess if I buy an external DAC I want good synergy with Grado RS1 and anything that works well with Grados will work with my speakers, or at least somewhat. I don’t really need XLR either at this time.

tosehee, yeah I know. I’m however I little bit skeptical. When I have some time over I will read through the thread on it.

But regarding soundcards, any recommendations? : ) I get the feeling that a DAC is the way to go? : p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back