Looking for some open headphones under/around 100$
Jan 31, 2013 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Esoterikk

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, been lurking a bit but can't quite make up my mind. I am currently looking for some over the ear headphones for gaming and music. The genre of music I mostly listen to is pretty wide so something that covers everything from bands like tool and puscifer to stuff like vocal trance and electro back down to indy rock.

My budget isn't huge, I would prefer to stay under 100$ or around that area, the place i work has sennheiser HD 558's for 120$ staff but I have heard bad things for the cost. My main goal is to get better sound then my PC 350's I have right now.

I currently don't have an amp/soundcard so they will unlikely be used with one until I can afford one.

The headphones I am currently looking at are...

Sennheiser HD 558 (seem to expensive for what you get)
ATH-AD700's (heard the bass was awful and i want bass)
Superlux HD-668 B (read good things on this site at the start of this thread but unsure if they will out perform my PC 350's, HOWEVER, a lot of people are saying these don't last more than 2-3 months)

Any other suggestions for something under 100$ ideally in the 50-60$ range but I am flexible, right now I am leaning towards the HD 558 just because they seem to get fairly positive reviews but again the price is a little high for what I have to spend.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 19
The Audio Technica ATH-M50 is around your price range and is supposed to be a pretty good value. I see it recommended a lot around here. I may be mistaken, but I think it has some emphasis on bass, so it might be right up your alley.

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
The Audio Technica ATH-M50 is around your price range and is supposed to be a pretty good value. I see it recommended a lot around here. I may be mistaken, but I think it has some emphasis on bass, so it might be right up your alley.

The M50 is not an open headphone

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
The M50 is not an open headphone

Good point, I missed that.

OP, is there a reason you looking specifically for an open headphone? As far as I know, open headphones usually tend to have better soundstage where closed headphones tend to have better bass, but really, it comes down to the specific models you're looking at.

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 19
I am the on the opposite end of expert, but from all the reading I've done this past two or so weeks since I had sudden urge in headphones, for 120 I'd get the HD558.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-558/reviews

Just to throw option your way, I just ordered a pair of Koss Pro DJ100 for 54.xx $, but it's open headphones.

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 19
A good open can for under $100, I doubt that you'll find one. 

That 558 is probably your best bet. Most people complain about the price since they're normally over $150 and you can buy a 598 for not much more than that if you keep your eyes open. I doubt that you'll be disappointed for $120. 

I can tell you this, my HD598 is in a different league than the AD-700. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #7 of 19
Look into the Somic MH463. It's been getting some good reviews.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/637699/50mm-driver-open-air-full-size-cans-pop-out-of-nowhere-sound-amazing

Other's to consider are the Technical Pro HPT990 and Takstar Hi2050

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 19
My price isn't set in stone, I could probably save up and spring for the 598's if that would be a good option. I mean I would like to keep it around the 100$ range but I won't pass up a good value for a bit extra money.

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #10 of 19
Creative Aurvana Live!

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
OP, is there a reason you looking specifically for an open headphone? As far as I know, open headphones usually tend to have better soundstage where closed headphones tend to have better bass, but really, it comes down to the specific models you're looking at.

Mainly I heard better soundstage and assumed that's what I wanted, Honestly I don't really know which I really want vs closed or open, I just want the best value.

I guess I should ask here since I might be being more specific then I need to be. Are open a better choice then closed? I mainly, like I said, do gaming and listen to music while coding. My current PC 350 as far as I can tell are closed and I don't mind them but my previous experience was with Siberia v2's so anything will sound good.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
Mainly I heard better soundstage and assumed that's what I wanted, Honestly I don't really know which I really want vs closed or open, I just want the best value.

I guess I should ask here since I might be being more specific then I need to be. Are open a better choice then closed? I mainly, like I said, do gaming and listen to music while coding. My current PC 350 as far as I can tell are closed and I don't mind them but my previous experience was with Siberia v2's so anything will sound good.

Sennheiser HD239. 

Very good value for money. I use it with my PC, and the sound signature works well with electronic/rock music. Extremely comfortable for long hours of use.
Also, they work well without any amp etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back