Looking For Some New Indie Bands
Oct 8, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #17 of 36
anything with spencer krug( wolfparade, sunset rubdown, swan lake, frog eyes), b.c. camplight, the veils, of montreal, bright eyes, animal collective, beirut, sufjan stevens, the decemberists, the unicorns, islands, destroyer, handsome furs, elliott smith, feist, jens lekman, the foals, lightspeed champion, man man, mew, midlake, nada surf, nick drake, neutral milk hotel, coconut records, sea wolf, sean lennon, silversun pickups, white rabbits, wilco, thao, yeah yeah yeahs, cold war kids, the cribs... that otta keep ya busy for a while. Have fun!

Oct 9, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ok computer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anything with spencer krug( wolfparade, sunset rubdown, swan lake, frog eyes), b.c. camplight, the veils, of montreal, bright eyes, animal collective, beirut, sufjan stevens, the decemberists, the unicorns, islands, destroyer, handsome furs, elliott smith, feist, jens lekman, the foals, lightspeed champion, man man, mew, midlake, nada surf, nick drake, neutral milk hotel, coconut records, sea wolf, sean lennon, silversun pickups, white rabbits, wilco, thao, yeah yeah yeahs, cold war kids, the cribs... that otta keep ya busy for a while. Have fun!

You know your indie bands, my friend. Sea Wolf, White Rabbits, Thao, and Of Montreal were pleasant surprises for me; and its always great to stumble upon fellow Wilco, Neutral Milk Hotel, Coconut Records (Nighttiming is fantastic) Sufjan and Decemberists fans.

Thanks for your input so far everyone.

Oct 9, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Besides this forum, how do you guys learn about these bands?

Friends, mostly. Go to their flats/dorm rooms, music's usually on, and go, "Hey, what's that playing? Sounds good..."

Oct 9, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #20 of 36
If you like Vampire Weekend, I recommend Noah And The Whale. Some say they are Britain's response to Vampire Weekend. I very much enjoy the song "5 Years Time." Give Scissors For Lefty and The Spinto Band a listen also.

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #21 of 36
Catchy & upbeat stuff that I like but not so new...
Peter, Bjorn & John
The Rapture
LCD Soundsystem
Lali Puna
... just to name a few
L3000.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #22 of 36
Yeah how did I forget about Wilco. and I love the Decemberists but are they still really independent? I had kind of lumped them into that middle category with the Shins and Modest Mouse.

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSTpt1022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah how did I forget about Wilco. and I love the Decemberists but are they still really independent? I had kind of lumped them into that middle category with the Shins and Modest Mouse.

In the sense that they all have semi-major record deals: no, they are not indie by definition. All 3 haven't, however, drastically altered their musical style in joining more mainstream labels. In that way, The Shins, Modest Mouse, and The Decemberists are as indie to me as most other truly independent artists.

Oct 9, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know your indie bands, my friend. Sea Wolf, White Rabbits, Thao, and Of Montreal were pleasant surprises for me; and its always great to stumble upon fellow Wilco, Neutral Milk Hotel, Coconut Records (Nighttiming is fantastic) Sufjan and Decemberists fans.

Thanks for your input so far everyone.

I'm always glad to help, and to see that my effort is appreciated. While I'm at it, I might as well add a couple more to the list... John vanderslice, david vandervelde, adam green, beach house, magenta skycode, blonde redhead, the dears, deerhunter, deerhoof, the fiery furnaces, Dr. dog, menomena, the mountain goats, panda bear, pheonix, orba squara, ben kweller, ben harper, ben folds... and thats about it, enjoy.

Oct 10, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #25 of 36
i would strongly second Menomena, The Fiery Furnaces and Broken Social Scene.

anyway, some decent releases from this year
65DaysOfStatic - Dance Parties
((Sounder)) - Good Things Come And Go Like Bad Things
Amanda Palmer - Who Killed Amanda Palmer?
A Lily - I Dress My Ankles With God's Sweetest Words
Apparat - Things To Be Frickled
Atlas Sound - Let The Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel
Black Devil Disco Club - Eight Oh Eight
Black Kids - Partie Traumatic
Blackstrap - Steal My Horses And Run
British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?
Charlotte Sometimes - Waves & The Both Of Us
Cloud Cult - Feel Good Ghosts
Cold Electric - Cold Electric
Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
Does It Offend You, Yeah? - You Have No Idea What You Are Getting Yourself In For
Electric President - Sleep Well
**** Buttons - Street Horrrsing
Girl Talk - Feed The Animals
Glasvegas - Glasvegas
Hadouken! - Music For An Accelerated Culture
His Hideous Heart - Its A Weird Time To Be Alive
Hot Chip - Made In The Dark
Ladytron - Velocerifo
Late Of The Pier - Fantasy Black Channel
Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim
M83 - Saturdays=Youth
Martha Wainwright - I Know You're Married But I've Got Feelings Too
Mates Of State - Re-Arrange Us
Maybeshewill - Not For The Want Of Trying
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
Natalie Portman's Shaves Head - Glistening Pleasure
Neon Neon - Stainless Style
One For The Team - Build It Up
Pete And The Pirates - Little Death
PlayRadioPlay! - Texas
Quitzow - Art College
Rafter - Sex Death Cassette
Santogold - Santogold
Secret Machines - Secret Machines (although dissapointing compared to previous albums)
Sick Of Sarah - Sick Of Sarah
Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Pershing
Sonny J - Disastro
Sybris - Into The Trees
TV On The Radio - Dear Science
The Brown Birds From Windy Hill - Three Sails To The Wind
The Dø - A Mouthful
The Fashion - The Fashion (technically 2007, but I think most people only heard it this year)
The Grates - Teeth Lost, Hearts Won
The Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
The Magnetic Fields - Distortion
The Photographic - Pictures Of A Changing World
The Rational Academy - A Heart Against Your Own
The Teenagers - Reality Check
The Very Hush Hush - Evil Milk
Vessels - White Fields And Open Devices
Why? - Alopecia
Wye Oak - If Children

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #26 of 36
Also worth checking out but not yet mentioned - The Helio Sequence

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #28 of 36
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary
Peter, Bjorn and John - Writers Block

These are standouts of what has already been mentioned. Indie rock is a vast genre though. This thread could go on forever. So lets continue....

Brian Jonestown Massacre - anything they put out before 2003 is a masterpiece.
The Warlocks - Phoenix LP
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones
Chromeo - I swear it sounds like the soundtrack from Ghostbusters. Awesome.

That's it for now. I love psych music, new and old if you're into that let me know. Most of it would be considered "indie" too.

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #29 of 36
pitchforkmedia.com --> search all reviews of 9.5 and above, and also "Best New Music."

I would say that Deerhoof, Arcade Fire, Dismemberment Plan, Menomena, and quite a few other bands are quite good. Some others are just pretentious pseudo-music, but it's somewhat rare.

I went through a big indie music phase, and am now back to more traditional fare. But I will eventually get back to the indie stuff, because it can be fresh.

Oct 13, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #30 of 36
Find the 2-4 songs that are still available by De Capulet. They broke up in 2006 without ever releasing a record, and took down their MySpace, but their music was brilliant; "Love at a High Speed" is my personal favorite.

Plus the lead, Jakob, is in new band soon called The Record Life and they're finishing up an album now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back