Looking for some new IEM/Canal phones
Mar 20, 2008 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

yangster

New Head-Fier
Good evening everyone,

My Super.fi 3 Studios Live just broke, the left bud, so now I'm in need of a new set. Although, I'm still waiting to see if UE will let me RMA them. I'm still waiting, but it doesn't hurt to be ahead.

I'm looking for some IEM/Canal phones with great sound and comfort for the price. I would like to prefer that they cost less than $80. I don't want to spend too much right now until I finish school and have everything settled down.

I listen to Rock, Ballad, Hip Hop, RnB, and some Jazz. I'm not an audiophile, but I can tell the difference between crappy and great sounds, the obvious difference like 64 kbps vs 192 kbps. I'm a bit rough with my headphones so durability is also a must along with comfort.

I've searched through the forums for reviews and such, and came up with these.

JVC FX66 - I would assume it's good enough since it costs pretty cheap and wouldn't feel bad if they broke.
Audio Technica Ck7
ETY ER6i
MylarOne X3i

That's what I've narrowed down to. I'm leaning towards the Audio Technica Ck7 because I already have the SJ3 cans and like them. They are too big for me to carry around school with my books and etc, so I'm looking for more portable ones.

Please give me some advice and suggestions.

Thanks.

Mar 22, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 13
I have not experience with any you listed except for Ety 6i, they are high quality high accuracy IEMs. They are comfortable with included foams. The only down side i see is the cord is thin; you said you want something that looks durable. But then again, i have had them for almost 2 years and everything with the cord is fine.

Mar 22, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 13
My ER6i's cord has only just now started to fray, after four years of heavy (ab)use. I would definitely say that looks can be deceiving.

Mar 22, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 13
In that case, Yuin PK3! They're regular earbuds, but they're quite impressive and cheap. And you said you didn't need isolation.

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 13
True, the yuin's are a pretty decent solution for you, although personally I haven't got experience with them i've been reading alot about their surprising sound quality, their downside is isolation...... which is actually an upside to you!

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #10 of 13
You do make a good point, but regular ear buds never worked for me. They just never stayed in my year for a long period of time. I have used the default buds that comes with mp3 players and they just don't stay.

Although, I will think about it. Thanks for suggesting it.

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #13 of 13
Indeed, yuins are a bit more 'premium' than the regular earbuds you'd get for 10 bucks, accesories-wise aswell.......

If you can find a place that lets you hear them first [and test comfort] - then go there before buying....

Goodluck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back