looking for some new headphones
Mar 26, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #17 of 31
amazon has two different portapors..one is the dj headphone and the other is a stero headphone with (portapro2)next to it..so whats the difference?? besides thoses what other portables and iems would be good??

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
I personally think there is a substantial difference between the HD515 and HD555. The difference between the HD555 and HD595 is much less in comparison.

That is not at all surprising:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...are+Headphones
I have the suspicion that the HD515 driver is mainly a slightly modified HD570 driver with a fat upper midrange resonance added (you can see it's a resonance on the impedance plot). Fairly strange-looking response. Of course it might be possible that the current 50 ohm samples are more sanely voiced, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by silentshadow
amazon has two different portapors..one is the dj headphone and the other is a stero headphone with (portapro2)next to it..so whats the difference??

The PortaPro2 was an attempt at a cost-reduced version; it does not have a size adjustment.

Quote:

besides thoses what other portables and iems would be good??

Open: PX100, KSC-75
Closed: K26P, K81DJ (verdict on Philips HP460 is still out)
Canal: EP630/CX300
IEM: E2c, maybe ER-6(i)

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
The PortaPro2 was an attempt at a cost-reduced version; it does not have a size adjustment.

Open: PX100, KSC-75
Closed: K26P, K81DJ (verdict on Philips HP460 is still out)
Canal: EP630/CX300
IEM: E2c, maybe ER-6(i)

on the ep630 and cx300 whihc one has the y-cord and the j-cord(don't like the j-cord..its like the didn;t have enough cable left and just went with whatthey had..amazon has the e2c and e2c-n..whats the difference?? the k26p and k81dj both look good.but how long i sthe cable on k81dj? headroom and amazon don't say.

Mar 27, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #22 of 31
this such a hard choice to make..go for the 515's or the 555's for my stero and still not really sure what i want for my zen touch..heck not even sure if i should get one or two phones for it..but eaither way sounds like i'm gonna spend alot of money no matter what i go for.

Mar 27, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

this such a hard choice to make..go for the 515's or the 555's for my stero and still not really sure what i want for my zen touch..heck not even sure if i should get one or two phones for it..but eaither way sounds like i'm gonna spend alot of money no matter what i go for.

If 555s still are too expensive for your taste, I'd rather look at HD485s instead of 515s. And of course, always remember the inofficial greeting: Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry 'bout your wallet!
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #24 of 31
ah now the 485's look to be right up my alley..and from what headroom says of them they sound great..so great in fact i just bought them on amzon for $84 and got an email giving a shipping estimate of march 29..does that mean they'll be here then or when they will be sent out?? now all i need is some good/decent phones for my zen touch..iem or a portable type of phones.oh yah and my mp3 player is a zen touch.

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #25 of 31
ok i had a thought last night when I was going to sleep.do the 485's need an amp or do they work great without one?? i should have asked before I bought them but oh well..so which of the iems have a better sound? the ep630,e2c or er6 or the er 6i?? and the same for the phones like the k26p,k81dj and the koss ur40??

Mar 28, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

ok i had a thought last night when I was going to sleep.do the 485's need an amp or do they work great without one?? i should have asked before I bought them but oh well..so which of the iems have a better sound? the ep630,e2c or er6 or the er 6i?? and the same for the phones like the k26p,k81dj and the koss ur40??

1. The HD485 does not require an amplifier to sound decent. A CMOY amplifier or PA2V2 would, however, make it sound somewhat substantially better. A CMOY will also greatly help with your IEMs.

2. The ER-6i has the best sound. The E2c is too boomy and muddy; the EP630 is on a lower class, it lacks the details that the ER-6i is quite capable of producing; the ER-6 is the old version of the ER-6i, most people think the ER-6i a bit better balanced in sound.

3. The K81DJ is the big brother of the K26P. Better balanced, tighter sound, better extension. It's also better than the UR40.

Mar 28, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

1. The HD485 does not require an amplifier to sound decent. A CMOY amplifier or PA2V2 would, however, make it sound somewhat substantially better. A CMOY will also greatly help with your IEMs.

2. The ER-6i has the best sound. The E2c is too boomy and muddy; the EP630 is on a lower class, it lacks the details that the ER-6i is quite capable of producing; the ER-6 is the old version of the ER-6i, most people think it's a bit better balanced in sound.

3. The K81DJ is the big brother of the K26P. Better balanced, tighter sound, better extension. It's also better than the UR40. As a matter of fact, the K81DJ crushes both the K26P and UR40 imho.

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis

2. The ER-6i has the best sound. The E2c is too boomy and muddy; the EP630 is on a lower class, it lacks the details that the ER-6i is quite capable of producing; the ER-6 is the old version of the ER-6i, most people think it's a bit better balanced in sound.

3. The K81DJ is the big brother of the K26P. Better balanced, tighter sound, better extension. It's also better than the UR40. As a matter of fact, the K81DJ crushes both the K26P and UR40 imho.

if the k81dj is better than the k26p then how com eover on headroom the k26p is rated higher(k26p has 5 full bars)and the k81dj has like 4 and a half bars? also where do i find thoses kinda amps and how much are they??? i mostly just want to look at them and then decide if i want them or not.

Mar 29, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #29 of 31
i was thinking of maybe skipping the akg's(since buying an akg and an etymotic would be over $130 and thats without all the taxes and stuff) and going for eaither the er6 or the er6i..but which one be driven eaiser on my zen touch? or i could just get both..
confused.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #30 of 31
ER-6i is more easily driven by a DAP. I see no reason to get both.

Remember that Headroom ratings are on value - they reflect price/performance, not pure performance.

The overwhelming opinion on head-fi seems to be that K81 is a pretty big improvement over K26...I would trust that over a Headroom rating.

You can get the PA2V2 at www.electric-avenues.com, and you can search for CMOYs on the For Sale forum here, post a WTB to commission someone to build one, or search on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back