Looking for some new headphones with bass and low sibilance
Apr 25, 2008 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

perfektrtw

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, right now I have some Alessandro MS2i's and I have really enjoyed them... with flat pads. With the bowls they were way way waaaay too bright/sibilant.

Unfortunately the cable is falling apart, so I need to get the cable replaced. I figured I might as well get a new pair of headphones while I was at it
cool.gif

What I am looking for is something with a nice amount of bass and low sibilance. Of course I want them to be high quality in general, those are just the characteristics I prefer... Let's pretend price isn't an issue, however I want to be able to buy these headphones new and unmodified.

I am running these through my computer... mostly flac, my soundcard is a X-fi Elite Pro, and I am plugging them in through the headphone jack of the breakout box thing the Elite Pro comes with. I realize most everyone is going to recommend an amp, but I tried a Benchmark DAC1 and I didn't notice much of a difference at all in sound so I returned it. The speaker/headphone by far makes the most difference in sound to me, so thats where I want to put my money.

But anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for a headphone with bass and low sibilance? I was looking at the ED9 but there are a few things that really concern me.. like it seems Ultrasones other offerings are quite sibilant, even if they have the bass, also it sounds like they might have the same driver as their much much cheaper headphones, and I do not want to spend over a grand on sheep leather. Not having a easy way to listen to them before buying is an issue too considering how much they cost.
I also looked at the JBL DX-1000 but of course... it seems strange to be because JBL isn't exactly known for being high quality, the headphone itself is quite expensive, and there is no easy way to listen to them either.

Are there any other headphones I should be looking at? I am a little leery at looking at more Grados just because my MS2i's are so sibilant... there is the RS-1s but.. I dunno... and then of course I think they have the same cable that is falling apart on my MS2i's. Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance...

Apr 25, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #2 of 8
Senns are known for bass, wamth, smooth mids and slightly roll-off (no sibilance) trebles. Whether or not their good for an ampless set-up depends on your soundcard and the Senns you choose. I have a pair of HD580s (current model HD600) that really sound just fine out of my Mac laptop. But they barely work at all plugged into my iPod. And they do sound better through an amp. A better choice might be the HD595. They're much less power hungry and probably have a more Grado-like presentation (forward and aggressive). That might be a good bet.

Tim

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 8
I found the DT770s to have more sibilance than any other headphone I had ever owned (I also sold the 990s because of sibilance), more sibilance than my Ultrasones. If you don't want sibilance, stay away from stock Beyers! If you have Larry recable/tweak the 770s in Darth Beyers, this will get rid of the sibilance, smooth things out and really helps with the mids.
Beyer Modding, Darth Beyer, DT770, DT880, DT990, Beyer Cables, BeyerDynamic Modding

I would try to buy a pair used though since otherwise you will have to wait 8+ weeks. I am not so sure how they sound directly out of a computer though.

Check out this thread to stay away from sibilance:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sib...ilance-314057/

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaproject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll throw in my suggestion of the Beyer DT770's.

Great bass, no sib at all.

Apr 25, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm selling my DT 770 pro 80 because of the annoying sibilance. Don't buy them ,they spit in your ears......

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #7 of 8
Apr 25, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As said before, Darth Beyers are a huge improvement over 770s. They are my favorite closed phone. There is a pair for sale on the forum right now. I would jump at it if I were you.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/da...e-sell-320243/

Today I received the K271 Studio. They are perfect.
Anough bass, great mids en high. No sibilance to speak of. This is audio heaven.
I'm afraid the Darth Beyers have too much overwhelming bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back