Looking For Some New Headphones $300-$500
Jul 2, 2015 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

newyorkcity

New Head-Fier
The speaker on my 2nd pair of V-Moda M-100s went out a month ago and I'm looking to get a new pair of headphones. I usually stick to closed headphones but I'm considering moving to open back headphones for my next pair. Can the bass be as good as closed back headphones or since its open backed will it be difficult to compete? Before the M-100s I had a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pros if that helps me pick a pair in any way. I will mostly be using these at home while listening to music and watching movies on my Macbook Pro

Quick Breakdown:

1. Cost between $300-$500
  2. Headphones that will be good listening to Hip Hop, Alternative, Rock, etc

I found the HIFIMAN HE400i's, how are they?

Jul 3, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 8
I'm thinking of getting an open can in this price range (barely), the ATH-AD1000.

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 8
The speaker on my 2nd pair of V-Moda M-100s went out a month ago and I'm looking to get a new pair of headphones. I usually stick to closed headphones but I'm considering moving to open back headphones for my next pair. Can the bass be as good as closed back headphones or since its open backed will it be difficult to compete? Before the M-100s I had a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pros if that helps me pick a pair in any way. I will mostly be using these at home while listening to music and watching movies on my Macbook Pro

Quick Breakdown:

• Cost between $300-$500
  • Headphones that will be good listening to Hip Hop, Alternative, Rock, etc

Not sure what you mean by good bass. If you want LOTS of bass open back will not be for you. The X2 has accurate and a lot of bass for an open can.

My other open headphones are the grado 325e. I love their forward sound, but I have never heard them being recommended for watching movies, one of your requirements.

I have never heard the he400i.

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 8
The HE400i has good bass presence, but driven from a Schiit Fulla, is not very punchy. It may be different with a better amp, but that's the only one I used when I owned it. Since it's at the limit of your budget unless you buy used, you might want to do more research or even audition it. I think it sounded good with all music, but only you can decide how much you like a headphone.

Jul 4, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 8

Quick Breakdown:

1. Cost between $300-$500
  2. Headphones that will be good listening to Hip Hop, Alternative, Rock, etc

When properly amped HE400i is fantastic with the types of music you  mentioned. I posted on the bass-head thread a few days ago what they can do with a few watts behind them. They are on par with any of the closed backs I own for bass performance  and surpass most.

If you interested check out post 1,465 on this page  http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club/4290, they sound good with a low power amp or straight out of a MacBook, but for optimum performance they require some power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back