Looking for some new gaming headphones
Mar 15, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #31 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by crappyjones123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kool you are correct, but the average gamer doesnt care for all those things. as long as it makes a loud boom it works. on the other hand if you are a serious gamer and really care for what you are doing in game then sound will be a higher priority. also if all you do is game and dont care for listening to music, it would seem to be a waste of money as well. he just comes from a different background from your kool. when i got my first pair of 555s, i couldnt believe how i had spent so much money. could have spent the same amount on a new keyboard and mouse. it takes time though. the head fi curse strikes. and then you realise that an unamped 650 is just a stupid idea and then you need a solid state amp and then you figure, hey this is crap i need to balance my 650s. and then you go on and learn about stax and then think your 650s are a piece of crap. well not really but you want to try other things.

being a gamer as well i can understand the claim that he made. but to both parties - give it time. soon the OP will be on our side.
biggrin.gif

I understand. I just think that good audio can really help you.. You need more then just positional audio like 5.1 headsets.. Gamers need to realize wether they like it or not, that SQ does matter, along with the audiophile wording like separation, 3D imaging, etc.. There was a time when I would only spend 150.00 on a pair of 5.1 headphones cause digital is better then stereo.. Now I'd drop a grand on certain headphones..

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #32 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cry Havoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to this logic: Do you sit on wooden chairs and sleep on wooden, frameless, springless beds? Because unless you can scientifically prove to me that mattresses with cushioning are more comfortable, it doesn't exist. Therefore, why are you presumably sitting on cushioned furniture? It is obviously a non-factor since it is not in the realm of science to "prove" how comfortable something is. Using your logic, a 4x4 with the appropriate height and backing would be just as comfortable as a laz-e-boy, and it costs less, too!

Relying on the "proof" of science is a pretty sheltered way to go through life. You are given your own eyes and ears to use them and make decisions for yourself, not to hear some scientist tell you what to do.

Not everything is in the realm of science to prove. That's why some people prefer Grados SR-60s to balanced HD600s. Because music is a human creation which is based upon our preference for what we enjoy and do not enjoy hearing in our ears. There are no measurements for how pleasing something is to an individual person. That you demand such data means you are probably in the wrong place to be asking such a question.

I'm still waiting for science to prove that loves is real.. I want to study it under the microscope. Sad, people would rather believe what scientist tell them then listening their own ears..

Mar 15, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #33 of 56
im a mathematician and a philosopher in training. i basically put all my eggs in one basket when reason and logic come into play but blindly believing numbers without verification when its possible is something im dead against. there are numbers you cant test (the number of atoms in the known universe or the gravitational force in a black hole) but we take what the scientists tell us to be true solely on authority. science is good when you take it into your own hands and do something with it. after all its people who blindly accepted the church that believed the earth was flat. and then someone comes along, invents the telescope and says, uhhh hai guiz, da urth iz not flatzorz lolwut? i wonder if they had lolcats back then. hmmm...must...sleep...

Mar 15, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #35 of 56
i'd say hd-555's 3 of my team members use them, and were division champs atm
our playoffs are soon too.

besides that, make sure u have a good soundcard.
then save up for a external amp to make those phones shine

Mar 15, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #36 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by KUNFUCHOPSTICKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone looked into these?: Review anywhere?

E.D.G.E. Acoustics GX400
Ety GX400

Those are very close to the ER-4P, which was recommended earlier in this thread.

Mar 15, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by onbu-BLAKkOPS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'd say hd-555's 3 of my team members use them, and were division champs atm
our playoffs are soon too.

besides that, make sure u have a good soundcard.
then save up for a external amp to make those phones shine

All drama aside what's the purpose of an amp and what does it do for headphones?

Mar 15, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #39 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowex3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All drama aside what's the purpose of an amp and what does it do for headphones?

If you're only into gaming, you don't need an amp. They just make stuff sound prettier.

Mar 15, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #41 of 56
a headphone amp is an enhancement for your setup. if you are getting "lower end" headphones and i use that phrase rather loosely, then no, you wont need an amp. on the other hand there are headphones (like the 650s or the 701s) that just beg for an amp. 555s on a good sound card should be fine.

Mar 15, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #42 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowex3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it's not a necessary component for proper functioning equipment on a computer like it is when trying to use big headphones on a AAA powered mp3 player.

They will still work fine..

Mar 15, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #43 of 56
I think you should settle with either a new pair of HD555s or a used set of HD595 (which costs about the same). They're both extremely comfortable and I find the HD595 (which I own and use for playing CS:S) to be great in terms of positioning. Haven't tried the HD555 beforehand so I can't tell you how it compares.

Mar 15, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #44 of 56
That basically settles it then, either the HD555 or AD700. Any care and storage instructions I should know about? I live in CFL so it can get pretty hot and humid sometimes, I can keep them in a shoebox with a desiccating packet if they've got humidity sensitive parts

Mar 15, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #45 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by KUNFUCHOPSTICKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone looked into these?: Review anywhere?

E.D.G.E. Acoustics GX400
Ety GX400

I've talked briefly with the designer (he is on Head-Fi!) and the GX400s are simply an Ety ER-4P with a mic.

ER4P, and consequently GX400, are EXCELLENT for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back