Looking for some new budget headphones for the office
Jul 31, 2013 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Skyline969

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone! I've been shopping around a little bit and I'm trying to look for some better headphones for use at the office. At home I've got my Steelseries 5HV2 headset which does the job fine, but my Phillips SHP2500s aren't cutting it anymore (not enough punch when it comes to bass), plus the insanely long cord gets incredibly annoying. I've got a budget of about $50, and would prefer to buy locally since I'm a man of instant gratification. However, I'm not much of an audiophile. That's where you guys come in! Are either of these any good?

JVC HA-S44X
Sennheiser HD 201

I'm really liking the cushiony kind of ear pads on both of them, as the fabric ear pads on my Phillips ones are rather uncomfortable after more than an hour of use (as are the pads on my 5HV2 headset, but that's another story). I have a pair of Sennheisers (wireless HDR 116s, uncomfortable, great when they work, but tuning them is a pain in the ass and the signal gets lost frequently) and a pair of JVCs (air cushion IEMs, quite good in my opinion, but I want over-ear headphones at the office, not IEMs). I like both brands, so I'd be comfortable with buying either of these if they're good. However, I don't know if they're worth the money that Future Shop's asking for them. Which of these would you recommend for my $50 budget, or perhaps would you recommend something else for that price range?

Thanks in advance!

PS: The kind of music that I mostly listen to is rock and metal, sometimes electronic but not very often. I'm looking for headphones that would be good for that kind of music.

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 6
Neither of those sound very good at all.
The JVC has a nice fun sound signature, but lacks any resolution. Just none. Whatsoever. 
The HD201 just sounds like poo. Nuff said.

Have a look at the Sennheiser HD419. Much better sound for the money.

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Neither of those sound very good at all.
The JVC has a nice fun sound signature, but lacks any resolution. Just none. Whatsoever. 
The HD201 just sounds like poo. Nuff said.

Have a look at the Sennheiser HD419. Much better sound for the money.

I'll definitely take the HD419 into consideration. It doesn't look like my city has much in the way for selection, so I may be ordering online.

What's the general consensus on the Brainwavz HM3? I've had Brainwavz Betas a long time ago (some of their first model ones) and they were quite good for IEMs that I spent a mere $30 on. I've read places that say the HM3 is good, some that say it's meh, but I'm not sure what to think about it. And, if the HM3 is good, would you recommend it over the HD419?

Aug 1, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 6
Never heard the HM3. 
The brand simply doesn't exist in Frankfurt so I've never even seen them in person.  
Even big brands like Audio Technica are impossible to find in Frankfurt because Germans will almost always automatically go for a good German or neighbouring Austrian brand, which is hardly surprising.

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 6
Get the JVC HAS400.

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
I'll definitely take the HD419 into consideration. It doesn't look like my city has much in the way for selection, so I may be ordering online.

What's the general consensus on the Brainwavz HM3? I've had Brainwavz Betas a long time ago (some of their first model ones) and they were quite good for IEMs that I spent a mere $30 on. I've read places that say the HM3 is good, some that say it's meh, but I'm not sure what to think about it. And, if the HM3 is good, would you recommend it over the HD419?

The Brainwavz HM3 is a pretty good headphone for the price in my opinion, but like JK1 said, look into the JVC S400, it's a great headphone for under $30. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back