Looking for some info on Qinpu headphone amps.
Apr 24, 2009 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

genclaymore

Headphoneus Supremus
I have my eye on these two headphone amps, the Q2 Amplifier seen here Head-Direct.com | YUIN.

And the Q1
Head-Direct.com | YUIN

I trying to fiqure out the highest headphone ohms that they will drive, I cant seem to find any info on these two.

I was hoping some one has one of these.

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 13
I really wish I could help, the instruction booklet of my Qinpu Q1 doesn't say anything about it.

All I can say is that my 50 ohms HD555, 60 ohms KSC75, 32 ohms RE2 and K414P are all driven loud enough at very low volumes from the amp. When I use the KSC75, RE2 or K414P and music is off, I can hear some very slight humming. All of my line-outs have to be slightly attenuated in order for them to avoid channel imbalance between (at 7 and 8 hours, lowest volumes). This isn't a problem at all when using devices with controlable volume outputs though (ex: Sansa Clip).

I am pretty sure it would drive much harder phones. However, past 13-14 hours, the humming becomes pretty significant (when music is off, anyways, and on my very sensitive phones).

I would be confident driving much harder cans.

As for the sound signature, I'd say: pretty large soundstage, warm, smooth, cohesive sound. In the moment, Instrument separation takes a very slight hit from being driven out of the amp instead of directly out of the Clip, but the overall sound seems to be punchier, slightly more engaging. I am currently listening to Chromeo's latest from a Sansa Clip, with my HD555 driven from the amp.

To put you in the mood: "Laisse-toi aller, ce soir on va danser, danser."

It's nice. I'm not sure this 39$ amp can properly drive a pair of, for instance, 300 ohms HD650.

If you want to drive those Ultrasone HFI-780... you shouldn't have any problem driving them to ear shattering volumes.

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for all of the info,I was planning on grabing the Q2 in the future to have a actual desktop amp instead of this portable amp thing that I wanna throw from recharging it ever 2-3days.

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 13
There isn't really a limit on what the quinpus can drive as OTL tube amps. I guess that if you have 2000 ohm phones from the 70s or something it might be a problem, but no common phones have higher than 300, really, which is fine for the quinpu amps.

Basically: Don't worry about it. OTL tube amps sound great with higher Z phones. Also, read Skylab's review on these amps. I will look for it and put up a link.

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks, I saw skylabs review like 10 mins after i made this thread.

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 13
Any one know what the minus and plus plugs on the back of the Q2 for, is those for speakers connections or something totally diffent. THx, as I gonna be grabbing them next month when my stimulus comes.

Apr 27, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 13
Yes, they are for connecting speakers.

May 4, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #8 of 13
Cant make up my mind between Q2s and Q1's because of the tubes. As I wouldnt know which tubes to change to and if the tube stop working. Then I dont want to get into changing tubes like I do with op-amps;

If only I had some kind of info on the Q1's.

May 4, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #9 of 13
There is only one tube on the Q2, and it's very easy to get new ones. Not much risk there, and it's a nice little amp for the money!

May 14, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 13
I have on last question, how long does the tubes usually last. as I hope I dont have to be changing them every month. Also if the tube was to go, is it useable without a tube til a replacement is put in?

May 15, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 13
thx, i was worried that be like light burbs and last a certain amount of months.

May 15, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 13
Well thx for all of the help guys, tho I went for the Q1 due to unexpected changed in plans and then changing my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back