looking for some "indie rock" or "alternative rock" recommendations
Mar 26, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
by the way..i think i will continue with the starlight mints. what album should i start with?

I'd try "Drowaton", their latest, 2006, I think. "Pumpkin" the first cut is great, catchy pop. The whole album is light, doesn't take itself too seriously. Fun stuff. I'd also Recommend "Bat for Lashes" first and only album - "Fur and Gold", good songwriting and listenable from beginning to end.
gg

Mar 26, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #22 of 44
Grab the self-titled album from The Living End.

Great Australian band, back in the self-titled album days they were a mix of indie/blues/rock/punkabilly. If you wanted a sampler before buying the album, just go find a stream of Monday or Prisoner of Society by them online somewhere.

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #24 of 44
wow! thanks fellows. so many names, i will have to check them.
i will try lastfm. can you listen to full songs there?

anyway...i will have myself a little cd shopping soon. just don't have enough of this genre. sometimes you just want something easy (that is not metal) to listen to.

in fact,the song that turned me on to this called "wrecking ball" of the band creeping lagoon.it's on the vanilla sky soundtrack. but, to my disappointment i didn't like the rest of the album.

Mar 28, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow! thanks fellows. so many names, i will have to check them.
i will try lastfm. can you listen to full songs there?

anyway...i will have myself a little cd shopping soon. just don't have enough of this genre. sometimes you just want something easy (that is not metal) to listen to.

in fact,the song that turned me on to this called "wrecking ball" of the band creeping lagoon.it's on the vanilla sky soundtrack. but, to my disappointment i didn't like the rest of the album.

For most bands to get a general feel of their "sound" I youtube, and if the band is in my interests, I buy a song off itunes...

And yeah, the problem with a lot of bands is that they have 1 or 2 good songs on an album and the rest are mediocre.

My above suggestion of The Living End's self titled album is a good example of how some bands don't do the above. The album itself is packed full of music similar to their songs "Monday" and "Prisoner of Society"

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Mar 28, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #26 of 44
check out the indie page on last fm, you can have a quick sample of these bands. Some even have a full track sample. This should definitely give you some idea about the band.
Cheers,
AP

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #27 of 44
WHOA!
Starlight Mints?
Real people actually KNOW of the band? I 'discovered' them about 6-7 years ago, and this is the first time I've heard somebody else then me reference them.
Awesome.
Fair to Midland? Same story.
This thread is awesome!

I'm a metal-head, but when I want to hear some 'cabrio-rock' as I call it I usually turn on Fair. I used to be addicted to Tickle me Pink as well.
If you want something a little more dirty I can fully recommend Stairs to Nowhere. They're a local band, but they have this awesome unique sound that you should definately check out.
As they themselves say: 'Music that sounds like a cat ductaped to a burning violin'.

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Pixel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want something a little more dirty I can fully recommend Stairs to Nowhere. They're a local band, but they have this awesome unique sound that you should definately check out.
As they themselves say: 'Music that sounds like a cat ductaped to a burning violin'.

Ooh, I really like their sound. The voice is very laid back and it just rolls out into the headphones!

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #29 of 44
These guys are wickedly awesome live. The drummer is is a crazy cat (I've seen him drum on the light fixtures on the ceiling, throwing the cymbals into the audience, screaming, shouting etc. It's quite a show. At the end of a show his hands are actually bleeding :s), the bass player is just annoyingly good (you know the kind that makes you jealous whether you understand what he's doing or not) and the singer is just a very very good entertainer and a joy to watch.
I'm glad you like'em!

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No Age. Get Nouns
Also maybe Wavves. They just came out with a new album recently.

oh god.. not 'wavves'. worst download I ever made.

surprised no one has mentioned:
Grizzly Bear

..new album Veckatimest is amazing. they are a strange band.. but realllly good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back