Looking for some IEM's.
Mar 20, 2010 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Katharn

New Head-Fier
Good day, head-fiers!

Here I am again after buying my first higher-end headphones, because I realized that I can't really take some full-sized studio monitor headphones outside, haha.

So this time I'm looking to get some IEM's for everything I won't use my full sized headphones for. And I'm going to put my trust in you all again.
biggrin.gif
So feel special, head-fi!

Anyways I guess I'm just looking for the best bang-for-the-buck? Not planning on spending too much on these IEM's, probably $50 MAX.

But like I said, just want the best bang-for-the-buck, best sound quality, bass, comfortable, etc. It would also be nice if I could get as close to my Shure SRH 840's in sound as I can, if that's possible. Or the Audio technica ATH-50's, though those are both higher end so don't know if that's even possible. If not those then sounding near the JVC RX-700's, (Or better, to me, the JVC's had a little too much bass)

But of course, I don't really know much about IEM's (Probably about as much as I knew about full-sized headphones when I first started looking for some..) and I will probably start researching them when I have time after I make this post, so please head-fi, help me make this easier, haha. Just tell me what you think would fit my wants/is the best bang-for-the-buck, and don't forget to give me the reasons why!

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 7
Meeletronics M6(wide soundstage, clear presentation and rich bass), Apple in earphones(extended frequency response, fun sounsing), JVC FXC80(bright, warm, rich sounding with deep bass) and Sony XB40EX(rich deep bass,clear mids and highs, overall fun sounding).....

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meeletronics M6(wide soundstage, clear presentation and rich bass), Apple in earphones(extended frequency response, fun sounsing), JVC FXC80(bright, warm, rich sounding with deep bass) and Sony XB40EX(rich deep bass,clear mids and highs, overall fun sounding).....

Please don't recommend gear you haven't heard. It's useful to noone and sometimes misleading.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/st...arning-270280/

@OP: I would look at the Nuforce NE-6, Maximo iM-590, and Meelec M6. It's hard to recommend an IEM going off the sound of a full-size can so you'll have to be more specific with your qualifications or read reviews and see which one you think you'll like best.

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please don't recommend gear you haven't heard. It's useful to noone and sometimes misleading.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/st...arning-270280/

@OP: I would look at the Nuforce NE-6, Maximo iM-590, and Meelec M6. It's hard to recommend an IEM going off the sound of a full-size can so you'll have to be more specific with your qualifications or read reviews and see which one you think you'll like best.

Yeah, I guess it would be hard, considering they're like, completely different.. I should have been more specific, sorry.

Anyways, I guess what I want is just an all around good/great pair of IEM's with good highs, mids, and lows, just everything pretty balanced, nothing exaggerated or hurtful on the ears, how the recordings are supposed to be heard. I'm not by any means a bass-head, but bass is very important to me, just not big, booming, in your face bass. I want good bass, detailed and just um.. accurate, how it SHOULD sound.

EDIT:
Oh, and pretty much as much detail as can be held. (For the price)
Also, um.. It would be nice if you suggested some headphones up to the $100 price range, too. Just so I can see reviews and compared and everything. =)

Mar 20, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 7
Stretch up to 109 and you've got one of the best values in all the IEM market, with the Panasonic HJE900. Build quality, subtle yet elegant looks, and sound that works for pretty much everything. Plenty detailed while still being fun. I own these and enjoy very much. As I own the RX700s and still listen to them frequently, imagine the RX700s with cleaner and more textured bass, more realistic(though not wider) soundstage, better imaging, and highs that sound real, with just enough "sparkle" for me. Though they are on the warm side of the spectrum, the tonality of instruments doesn't sound particularly colored to me.

Otherwise, I got the chance to listen to some not burned in Thinksound Rains I got for my friends bday, and they sounded great, a very 3D soundstage with what I thought was very natural timbre and good clarity. Those are available for under 60 at many websites. They sound like they would fit your criteria very well.

Since you are new to the IEM market, keep in mind the importance of a proper fit, and how some IEMs may require more finicking than others.

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 7
Alright, well, I've looked around for a while and it looks like I'm down to about 4 headphones. The Nuforce-Ne6, the Maximo IE-590's, the Soundmagic pl30's, or the the Thinksound Rain. None of these are sold locally, so I can't really try them out without a big hassle, so if you all can give me your opinions on them, that'd be great.

I believe that I will decide on one of these pairs and then when I receive them I will buy some Sony MDR-EX300's from my local bestbuy (since I can return those rather easily) and then compare both of them to see what I like the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back